BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Battery Water (revisited) (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10680-re-battery-water-revisited.html)

Marc Auslander November 9th 03 09:08 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

So were can you even buy distilled water anymore. The supermarkets
have stopped carrying it. What is an alternative?

Panama November 10th 03 02:03 AM

Battery Water (revisited)

Buy a TDS meter for $29 or less and test water before putting in $$$
batteries - this one I have and works great -- I don't know where I
got it from but this place is as cheap as any

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/h_tds1.htm

BTW - lots of aquarium stuff is useful and cheaper than "marine" stuff

My distilled water in So Cal is .99 per gal and measures 1 ppm TDS

Got it from the 99cent store

Chuck Tribolet November 10th 03 02:07 AM

Battery Water (revisited)

My supermarket has both steam distilled and deionized, which is a functional equivalent.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

Mark November 10th 03 05:09 AM

Battery Water (revisited)

Marc Auslander wrote
So were can you even buy distilled water anymore. The supermarkets
have stopped carrying it. What is an alternative?
--

Odd. Every grocery store in this area carries it, in the "bottled
water" section. Wherever ironing must be done, distilled water should

Gordon Wedman November 10th 03 08:24 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

Marc Auslander wrote
So were can you even buy distilled water anymore. The supermarkets
have stopped carrying it. What is an alternative?
--

Mark wrote
Odd. Every grocery store in this area carries it, in the "bottled
water" section. Wherever ironing must be done, distilled water should
be available.

Often carried in pharmacies as well. I think people like to clean their
contact lenses with distilled water.
I think department stores that have an automotive parts section which
includes batteries also sell distilled water. That's where I get mine from,
about $1 for 4L.

TB November 10th 03 08:39 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

Our local auto store sells de ionized water to top up batteries. Is this
better than distilled?

Marc Auslander wrote

Larry Demers November 11th 03 04:48 AM

Battery Water (revisited)

Glenn,

Trojan agrees with the advice to forgo Equalization Charging. I bought 4
T105's and they came with information that said that EQ should NOT be done on
these batteries. So, do I Eq or not?? Any advice?

Larry DeMers

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Interesting. George Peroni at Hydrocap says to remove them before
equalizing. If they get to hot to touch either a cell is bad or you are
charging to hard. Peroni is an odd bird. If you both have the time he
will talk your ears off. Reminds me a lot of Mr. Surrette. I have had
the privilege of receiving sermons from both. :-)

Peroni takes a different position about equalizing. He claims that it
is not needed with modern 3 stage chargers and actually reduce service
life.

Jim Woodward wrote:

Surrette, says that they work fine and solve all problems, even during
equalization. Certainly if they don't work during equalization, they're
worth less (not "worthless", just "worth less").

I guess I trust Surrette -- the family has been making boat batteries for a
long time -- but I'll still have a vent above the battery box. I saw a
Hinckley 70 in Bermuda in 1996 that was going back to Maine to be repaired
after a battery explosion. They were gel cells, mounted under a bunk, with
no vent. Wasn't a pretty sight. Lucky there was no one in the stateroom at
the time. Even gel cells need venting.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Keith November 11th 03 12:39 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

Probably so, but the difference is so slight that I wouldn't pay any extra
for it.

"TB" wrote in message ...
Our local auto store sells de ionized water to top up batteries. Is this
better than distilled?

Marc Auslander wrote

Bruce in Alaska November 11th 03 07:41 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

In article ,
"Chuck Tribolet" wrote:

My supermarket has both steam distilled and deionized, which is a functional
equivalent.

Bzzzzt, Wrong, would you like to try for what is behind Door No. 2???

Deionized Water is not the "Functional Equivelent" of Distilled Water.
You need to go back to High School and retake Chemistry 100 my friend.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Jim Woodward November 11th 03 10:26 PM

Battery Water (revisited)

Bruce, you confuse me here....

Back in the Dark Ages, I ran a company that produced various ion beam
equipment. It often required cooling. This was easy to do with a cooling
water loop in the test area, except that the ion sources were often quite
far from ground -- as much as 400kv in air. We also built higher voltage
stuff, but it was insulated with pressurized SF6.

In order that the cooling water not be a short path to ground, it had to be
non conductive, which we accomplished by deionizing it, effectively removing
all the dissolved particles. So, I know a little -- not a lot -- about
deionizing water.

Steam distilling leaves behind two kinds of things -- dissolved minerals,
such as calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, and the like, which, because
they are dissolved, are in ionic form -- and particle matter -- fine sand,
for example, that might be carried in the water.

Now, it's strictly true that if you deionize water, you remove only the
dissolved minerals, and could leave the non-ionic solids, but as a practical
matter, you're going to filter the water and remove the non-ionic solids
before you sell it. Both methods get the non H2O stuff out, although with
different methods. Both can deliver pretty good purity if you work hard
enough at it -- certainly good enough for battery water. So, I'd say they
are indeed functional equivalents.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com