Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JAD

Default STANDING RIGGING...to ground or not?

I have read several opinions "either way"....... Thought I would solicit a
few opinions from here on the group to see what everyone else is doing.....

A little Hunter 25 got stuck by lightning here a few weeks ago....struck top
of mast. Melted the VHF antenna into a coathangar....blew the top cover off
of it's matching coil.....destroyed all of the electronics on the boat and
blew toggle switches right out of the panel! About five or six holes in the
hull distributed a couple of inches above the waterline was where it exited.
Skipper and his g/f were in the cabin taking refuge from the storm...were
uninjured thank goodness! The holes in the hull seemed to be through the
gelcoat only....and just burned the mat black. Being just above the
waterline they motored back to the marina safely. This sure got me to
thinkin'!!!!! I actually got to examine this boat close-up once it had been
placed on it's trailer. Of course, this trailer boat has no keel to ground
the rigging to easily........

I am in a Mac 26X.....NO KEEL. Most of these (and other lightweight
centerboard boats) are running around sans grounding. Anyone think that it
would be worthwhile to add a plate (dynaplate or other) to the hull and
ground the mast support pole (runs through cabin next to dinette????) The
plate might prevent serious hull damage?????

OR...would this serve to "attract" a hit....much in the same way an antenna
"protects" a house and other structures it's mounted above (hams will know
this theory....)

Some say....if it's gonna strike....it's gonna.....and doesn't make much
difference whether or not the rigging is grounded....it'll find the water no
matter what you do..... I just don't want to INCREASE my chances of being
struck.....'cause I know there will be losses in the electronics / wiring no
matter what...

Have at it Gents! ....and thanks in advance for the advise.....Joe