beryl

Default Radar effectivness

Is there any advantages in having a 4kw as opposed to 2kw antenna
apart from the additional range. Which for me is a unwanted feature.

Will the higher powered unit detect targets in close proximity (less
than a mile) that would possibly have not been detected by the lower
powered unit or is everything just lost in sea clutter.

Has anyone had experience of changing to a more higher power antenna
and the possible advantages.

Ian

beryl must be edykated coz e writed:

Is there any advantages in having a 4kw as opposed to 2kw antenna
apart from the additional range. Which for me is a unwanted feature.

Will the higher powered unit detect targets in close proximity (less
than a mile) that would possibly have not been detected by the lower
powered unit or is everything just lost in sea clutter.

Has anyone had experience of changing to a more higher power antenna
and the possible advantages.

A bigger, i.e. greater diameter antenna will give a narrower band of
definition but the output power is primarily for range. Also can your "head"
unit operate with an alternate Radome?

--
Ian

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:01:53 +0100, beryl
wrote:

Is there any advantages in having a 4kw as opposed to 2kw antenna
apart from the additional range. Which for me is a unwanted feature.

Will the higher powered unit detect targets in close proximity (less
than a mile) that would possibly have not been detected by the lower
powered unit or is everything just lost in sea clutter.

Has anyone had experience of changing to a more higher power antenna
and the possible advantages.

The higher powered units use a wider pulse width to increase range,
too. This results in lower definition of targets. Once the reflected
signal off an object is above the receiver's noise floor, the tiniest
signal it will receive, nothing is gained. Fine tuning the receivers
frequency, mostly an electronic control on the screen in new radars,
DOES make it more sensitive to the reflections from the transmitter,
however.

Many sailors interested in seeing the bouy on their radars also make
the mistake of putting the radar antennas up so high they shoot right
over the bouy they are trying to detect CLOSE to the boat. Increasing
the antenna height is great for extending RANGE. But, why does a
sailboat moving 8 knots need range? He needs to see that outer marker
in the fog that's 800 yards from the bow.....If he'd move the radar
antenna DOWN to 20' off the water and from BEHIND the rigging looking
forward, it would stick out like a sore thumb, even on the 2KW
radar.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Ian

beryl must be edykated coz e writed:

A bigger, i.e. greater diameter antenna will give a narrower band of
definition but the output power is primarily for range. Also can your "head"
unit operate with an alternate Radome?

Yes not a problem for I am buying a complete new system.
The processor board in the present one has gone "pop"
and is past economical repair plus it would not comply
long term with the changing spurious emissions requirements

I am just replacing one for a customer who has had a similar problem, his
current radar is no longer supported by the manufacturer, so it is more
economical to fit a whole new set.

--
Ian

Ron Thornton

Rodney,

About 2 years ago. A google search of the boats groups should find a
number of comments from both users and radar techs.

Ron

Terry Spragg

beryl wrote:

Is there any advantages in having a 4kw as opposed to 2kw antenna
apart from the additional range. Which for me is a unwanted feature.

Will the higher powered unit detect targets in close proximity (less
than a mile) that would possibly have not been detected by the lower
powered unit or is everything just lost in sea clutter.

Has anyone had experience of changing to a more higher power antenna
and the possible advantages.

Range vs noise rejection:

If the antenna is low, it will see less clutter, and will have
shorter range.
If the AE is high, it will see less close in, and see more
including clutter, far away.

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

beryl

I am just replacing one for a customer who has had a similar problem, his
current radar is no longer supported by the manufacturer, so it is more
economical to fit a whole new set.

And which power rating are you fitting, and what was the thinking
behind the selection.

beryl

Range vs noise rejection:

If the antenna is low, it will see less clutter, and will have
shorter range.
If the AE is high, it will see less close in, and see more
including clutter, far away.

What would consider optimum height for the antenna when
mainly used on short range, (up to 5 miles) in bad weather conditions.