BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10580-dammit-icom-why-so-cheap.html)

Larry W4CSC September 13th 03 01:42 PM

DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!!

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:10:58 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

So, exactly *what* is your problem???

Meindert

It's service network is very small on this side of the pond.

OD Green looks awful against any wood panel....

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Marcus AAkesson September 14th 03 10:42 PM

DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!!

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:29:15 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Sailor is a REALLY nice marine SSB but the ones I have seen are almost
impossible to tune on Ham bands.

The new all-digital HC4500 SSB is according to information no problem
to open up for the ham bands. I know people who are using it that way,
for example

www.reginasailing.com

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Marcus AAkesson September 14th 03 11:06 PM

DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!!

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:58:59 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

"Sailor RT4822 includes a transceiver unit and a handset. The
SPARC-BUS interface, an advanced balanced data and AF interface, can
be used to interconnect multiple control units and for exterior
computer based control/programming options."

OH BOY! Another incompatible, non-communicating data protocol that
won't talk to anything else on the boat! Who else uses Sparc (besides
Sun, that is)??

Completely irrelevant. This is like asking what kind of protocol icom
and others are using in their microphones with control buttons, it's
not meant to be interfaced to any other equipment than a secondary
control post.

I do see there's a secondary NMEA interface back there, somewhere,
though.

Exactly, open standards for You....

The other problem you'll have is SERVICE.....

Why? There are 9 locations listed.

Texas
Alabama
California
San Francisco
Florida
Louisiana
New York
Virginia
Washington

They hardly ever break anyways.
They wouldn't be one of the top choices for the commercial fleets if
they needed service often. Quite the opposite, Sailor radios are known
to just work for decades without a glitch.

/Marcus

Glenn Ashmore September 14th 03 11:42 PM

DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!!

The inevitable question: $$$$?

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com