Capt Lou

Default INVERTER?

Anyone using an inverter instead of a generator? What has been your experience?
How big is it and is it doing what you expected?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Steve

I have both inverter and generator.. The gen set is a pain in the a$$..
Noisy, etc.

My inverter is 2000 watt with 110 amp charger.. The battery bank is about
800 ah. (4 ea. Trojan L16s).

So far I have been very happy with the inverter, but just yesterday, I
noticed the microwave seems to be acting up while operating on the inverter.

Oh yah! another problem was with the recharger for the batteries for my
portable drill.. I left a battery on charge for about an hour while
operating on the inverter.. This small charger started over heating.. Never
happened before while on shore power or gen set.

Most be something to do with the square wave of the inverter. So I'm told.

My inverter also has a load sense setting that keeps it in standby until as
preset load level is reached. Or it can be set a '0' and it stays on all the
time.

Otherwise, I prefer the inverter..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Vito

Capt Lou wrote:

Anyone using an inverter instead of a generator? ....

We're just getting back to sailing but have used a small inverter to
power a laptop and other low-power appliances in our motor home for
years. Works great within its (and our batteries') limitations but I
always fire off the Onan to run the AC, coffee pot and microwave. Plan
to do the same in the boat.
Regards
Howard