Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Richard Ferryman

Default Which pentium 4 for low(ish) power

I have a new computer which is about half the hight of a mini tower, ideal
for mounting below the chart table. This has two serial ports which is an
advantage over my laptop, so can connect GPS and my radio comms, and has all
the other ports and slots I would need but is supplied without processor,
ram or hard disk etc. The board has a socket 478 for a Pentium 4. The
question is which P4 to optimise power consumption. I suspect that
power dissipation/processor speed is a non linear function and there will be
an optimum processor
speed for both processor power dissipation and cooling fan power consumption
above which energy is consumed at an exorbitant rate.
My old tower system at home would loaf along at about 60W, twice what the
laptop takes, and I suspect the new one will consume about the same when
relatively idle. Naturally I want to keep the power down as it will run
whenever at sea with ust solar panel and wind generator to top up the
battery.

Also does anyone know if any of the 15" LCD displays can run on 12V or will
that have to run off the inverter too?

Richard
G4BBH = G4BBH/MM

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Power Outage! :o( Steve Cruising 2 December 23rd 03 01:31 PM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM