John

Default Battery charger interference

Vito wrote in message ...
Ed Price wrote:

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
I have a three bank battery charger in my Chris Craft. When the unit
is actually charging, it creates interfernce in the TV picture on my
boat and the boats in close proximity. Does anyone have any idea why
this is happening and what might be done to alleviate it? My
neighbors are ready to sink my boat. Thanks.
Rich

Simple answer is to run the charger during hours when others are unlikely to
be watching TV. ...

Add "Install ferrite beads like the ones found on some computer cables"
to the list of possible fixes. They're available at most electronic
stores (Radio Shack) and snap around the wire close to the charger.

Howard

Your charger has what's called a switching power supply in it. Simply
put, the input power is converted to a much higher frequency, this
allowes the use of a much smaller transformer than you would need for
standard 60 Hz AC power. This makes the charger much smaller, lighter,
and cheaper. The noise you are getting is comming in on the power
line or the antenna. You might try a shielded antena wire, and if that
doesn't work, you may need a power filter. The folks at Radio Shack,
or someplace like that, may be able to help you.
Ed Price

"John" wrote in message
om...
Vito wrote in message

Ed Price wrote:

[...]

You must live in a different world. On my last visit to Radio Shack, I found
that they didn't have any 50 ohm coax. I was told they have stopped stocking
it. I asked them how I should connect a CB set if they were to sell me one.
The clerk said they could special order the 50 coax. In my opinion, a place
that calls itself a "radio shack" has declined a whole lot if they have to
special order a chunk of 50 ohm coax.

As to advising you on filtering techniques, you gotta be joking!

Ed
WB6WSN