BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Water Usage Meter (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/101153-water-usage-meter.html)

patrick jankowiak March 19th 09 12:33 AM

Water Usage Meter

foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

If you have a positive displacement water pump and you know its
displacement, then you can count its revolutions.

Rich March 22nd 09 04:19 AM

Water Usage Meter

How about the Digiflow 8000T? Search eBay for "Digiflow". It's flow
rate is down at 0.3 gpm. About $42 with shipping on eBay.

I have no connection with this product or vendor, but I have been
mildly interested myself in such an item.

Rich

foggywaters March 22nd 09 08:06 AM

Water Usage Meter

Yes - That one has come to my attention. I had concern that the 3/8"
tubing size might be a problem. I have a ShuFlo pump and the hose
from it is 3/4". I recently did a short test by inserting about 10" of
3/8" tubing in this line. The times to draw a gallon of water were
almost identical at about 27 seconds. While I had the fittings off the
pump I noted although the hose is 3"4" the pump end of the fitting is
only about 3/8".

Foggy