BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Water Usage Meter (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/101153-water-usage-meter.html)

foggywaters December 29th 08 09:01 AM

Water Usage Meter

Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

Steve Lusardi December 29th 08 10:23 AM

Water Usage Meter

I am afraid a flow meter will never be good enough, because they would be
approximate at best and expensive. On a second thought, if you do not have
access, how do you clean them? If in fact, you really do not have access,
you have a much bigger problem than water level to worry about.
Steve

John Navas December 29th 08 04:09 PM

Water Usage Meter

I agree with Steve, right down the line.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John

Sjouke Burry[_2_] December 29th 08 09:58 PM

Water Usage Meter

foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

If you want to build one, two solutions.
1.
Put a small propeller in a piece of glass or
transparent tube, a LED lichtsource on one side,
a phototransistor on the other side.
Clean up the phototransistor signal, and add a counter.
Then calibrate your counter by withdrawing a
known amount of water.
2.
Put a small propeller with magnet attached in the tube.
On the outside place a reed relay close by.
use switch to produce pulses, for the rest see solution 1.

Both are 10 dollar solutions.

foggywaters December 30th 08 08:57 AM

Water Usage Meter

Steve & John

You may very well be right that a flow meter may not be accurate
enough with small flow rates.

As for cleaning I do the bleach, let sit for 24 hours and rinse
several times every few months.

Foggywaters

foggywaters December 30th 08 09:02 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Dec 29, 1:58*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
foggywaters

If you want to build one, two solutions.
1.
Put a small propeller in a piece of glass or
transparent tube, a LED lichtsource on one side,
a phototransistor on the other side.
Clean up the phototransistor signal, and add a counter.
Then calibrate your counter by withdrawing a
known amount of water.
2.
Put a small propeller with magnet attached in the tube.
On the outside place a reed relay close by.
use switch to produce pulses, for the rest see solution 1.

Both are 10 dollar solutions.- Hide quoted text -

Thakns

This of course leads to the question where to get a small propeller
with or without a magnet. The Floscan fuel meter I had many years ago
used the former method, however it was only about 5/16" dia. I would
require 1/2 - 3/4"

foggywaters

John Navas December 30th 08 03:52 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:57:48 -0800 (PST), foggywaters
wrote in
:

As for cleaning I do the bleach, let sit for 24 hours and rinse
several times every few months.

Bleach can be very hard on non-metallic parts -- I do not recommend it.
I personally use cleaners designed for the task.

Steve Lusardi December 30th 08 04:18 PM

Water Usage Meter

$10 solution? I guess you don't build many things. How much is your time
worth? How much effort do you think it will take you to source the
apprpriate parts, even if you could? If you couldn't, do you have the tools
to make them? Material cost? Then you have the performance, accuracy,
liniarity, data display and verification issues to deal with. I have both
the knowledge, the test equipment and the machine shop to do this and I know
that for me to make one would cost me several kilobucks in time and
materials. Perhaps you want to share what your smoking.
Steve

Sjouke Burry[_2_] December 30th 08 05:47 PM

Water Usage Meter

Steve Lusardi wrote:
$10 solution? I guess you don't build many things. How much is your time
worth? How much effort do you think it will take you to source the
apprpriate parts, even if you could? If you couldn't, do you have the tools
to make them? Material cost? Then you have the performance, accuracy,
liniarity, data display and verification issues to deal with. I have both
the knowledge, the test equipment and the machine shop to do this and I know
that for me to make one would cost me several kilobucks in time and
materials. Perhaps you want to share what your smoking.
Steve

I would make the mecanical parts, and
get a counter/photo transistor from www.conrad.com

I dont have to pay myself, you apparently have never
done any hobby work, according to your rules it would
be impossible to make something on the cheap.
The OP wanted something simple/cheap to have some indication
of water consumption, and I dont see where you would
spend all that money on, unless you are trying to
solve a different problem.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] December 30th 08 06:16 PM

Water Usage Meter

foggywaters wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:58 pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
[...]

If you have sombody with astma around, you can get a nice
propellor from an old inhalor.
Else goto a hobby shop, where they cater to ship moddeling,
they sell propellors to drive model ships.

Richard Edwards[_2_] December 31st 08 09:35 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:01:37 -0800 (PST), foggywaters
wrote:

Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

This sounds like it will not work but it does!
Monitor your pump runtime from a full tank to an empty tank.
I have installed a relay that energises when the pump is running, use
that to run an hrs:min:secs counter. my tank gave 1hr 45min. Just
reset the counter when you fill the tank to full. Look at the counter
and a bit of arithmetic in your head will tell you your tank state.

Simple way to control the counter is to wrap say 20 turns of the pump
live feed around a reed switch use the reed to switch the hrs counter.
This allows the switch and relay to be remote from the pump.

Do not be concerned if you have an accumulator in the system, it all
averages out nicely.

Richard

Steve Lusardi December 31st 08 09:55 AM

Water Usage Meter

As I pointed out his solution, even if it did function, it would be
inadequate at best. Because you do not know, my tools and their use are my
hobby and my hobby is expensive and yes, I do consider my time as a cost
factor. There are only 1100 hours a year for the working individual
available for activities outside of the work place and what time you spend
on one thing restricts your available time for other things. How you expend
those available hours is of course personal choice, but to consider them
without cost is foolishness. To repeat myself again, your solution is
neither cheap nor simple.

Geoff Schultz December 31st 08 01:05 PM

Water Usage Meter

Richard Edwards wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you simply install guages on the tank(s)?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

John Navas December 31st 08 04:34 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:35:00 +0000, Richard Edwards
wrote in
:

This sounds like it will not work but it does!
Monitor your pump runtime from a full tank to an empty tank.

What it actually sounds like to me is a really bad idea, because a
simple screwup can leave you thinking you have water in your tank that
you don't really have, the consequences of which could range from
unpleasant to life threatening. A flow meter has the same problem.
A real water gauge should always be used.

[email protected] December 31st 08 05:51 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:55:34 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

As I pointed out his solution, even if it did function, it would be
inadequate at best. Because you do not know, my tools and their use are my
hobby and my hobby is expensive and yes, I do consider my time as a cost
factor. There are only 1100 hours a year for the working individual
available for activities outside of the work place and what time you spend
on one thing restricts your available time for other things. How you expend
those available hours is of course personal choice, but to consider them
without cost is foolishness. To repeat myself again, your solution is
neither cheap nor simple.
Steve

I think you should hire somebody to breathe for you. It's a real time
waster.

foggywaters January 3rd 09 08:05 AM

Water Usage Meter

Sjouke Burry - Thanks for the suggestion of asthma inhalator &
propellors to drive model ships for making a flow meter. Also -
www.conrad.com. They have several flow sensors that could be useful,
unfortunately they are located in Germany and they do not deliver to
" Canada, USA • High insurance costs make delivery impossible " One
would think that similar sensors would be available on this side of
the Atlantic.

Richard - The clock idea is an interesting concept. I'll time my
tanks. I have a spare hour meter but I expect the accuracy would not
be good enough.

Geoff - There are two poly tanks , 50 gallons each (66" X 17" X 11")
under the salon floor. The only access withoutout cutting large holes
in the carpet etc is about a square inch at the aft corner of one
and on the fwd corner of the other. The shallow depth of the tanks
don't make for getting very good reading with most senders. I could
possibly get a Tank Tender sender in, but I don't find them very
appealing for several reasons. I do have see thru hose on the tank
outlets that gives me some idea of the levels when air is let in but
it is not very convenient.

It is winter, boat project time.

Thanks and a Happy New year to all with their helpfull ideas.

CS January 5th 09 12:43 PM

Water Usage Meter

Just fit an inexpensive domestic water meter. Most have 3/4 inch
fittings and will cope with 3 m3/hour flow rate. It is accurate
enough and I have one fitted just before the water pump inlet, with
its meter face poking through the galley deck. Easy enough to read
weekly and work out how much water is left.

Capt Dan January 5th 09 01:45 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Dec 29 2008, 4:01*am, foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), *installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

Check out:

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/support/8000t.pdf

I think this is exactly what you want for under $40

foggywaters January 8th 09 08:14 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Jan 5, 4:43*am, CS wrote:
Just fit an inexpensive domestic water meter. *Most have 3/4 inch
fittings and will cope with 3 m3/hour flow rate. *It is accurate
enough and I have one fitted just before the water pump inlet, with
its meter face poking through the galley deck. *Easy enough to read
weekly and work out how much water is left.

CS

Yes that looks like the most practical solution. Do you know the
manufacture of the one you have.

Thanks

foggywaters January 8th 09 08:18 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Jan 5, 5:45*am, Capt Dan wrote:
On Dec 29 2008, 4:01*am, foggywaters wrote:

Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), *installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

Check out:

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/support/8000t.pdf

I think this is exactly what you want for under $40- Hide quoted text -

Capt Dan

Thanks - Yes this looks very good, I like it - but - the connections
are only 3/8" NPT. My main line is 3/4" with the individuals 1/2". I
will put a piece of 3/8" hose in line to see what affect it has on the
volume of flow.

foggy

Steve Lusardi January 19th 09 06:56 AM

Water Usage Meter

As stated before, a flow meter gives indirect answers to your question and
therefore is prone to error. I have another suggestion that I think is not
only more practical, but less expensive. Use a "Differential Pressure Gage"
calibrated in inches of H2O. All this takes is a small diameter hose to the
tank bottom connected directly to the high side of the gauge and a method to
burp the line from time to time. These gauges can be found both new and used
at very freindly prices.

foggywaters January 20th 09 08:06 AM

Water Usage Meter

Steve. Thanks. This sounds like the Tank Tender system: www.thetanktender.com

"Tank Tender operates on air pressure. Select the tank, then pump a
small amount of air through tubing to the bottom of the tank. When the
air pressure in the tube equals the liquid pressure at the bottom of
the tank, the gauge displays this pressure in inches".

They list at US$375. for a single tank system. Have to find a non-
marine version. ?? www.grainger.com list several gages alone from
US$65. - $300.There are some lised on ebay as well -

It is an option but I only have access to a aft corner of one tank and
the fwd on the other tank - (belly tanks 168 cm L x 43 cm w X 28 cm
H). some people with the same boat have said they do not find the Tank
Tender very accurate - not that we really need precision - probably
because the tank is shallow and the tube is at the end..

foggy

Bruce in Bangkok[_9_] January 20th 09 01:59 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:06:36 -0800 (PST), foggywaters
wrote:

[...]

The "air" gauges measure water depth in the tank so a shallow tank
would be harder to get an accurate measurement in then a deep tank as
an increment of measurement in a shallow tank is a much larger
quantity then the same increment in a narrow tank..

But in any event they are more accurate then those "1/4 empty" float
gauges :-)

On Jan 18, 10:56Â*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
As stated before, a flow meter gives indirect answers to your question and
therefore is prone to error. I have another suggestion that I think is not
only more practical, but less expensive. Use a "Differential Pressure Gage"
calibrated in inches of H2O. All this takes is a small diameter hose to the
tank bottom connected directly to the high side of the gauge and a method to
burp the line from time to time. These gauges can be found both new and used
at very freindly prices.
Steve

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Chewbacca January 20th 09 08:20 PM

Water Usage Meter

foggywaters wrote:
[...]

If you want a low cost gauge, how about using a simple manometer and a
hand pump. Just type manometer into e bay.
No idea if this method would also work with the toilet waste tank. If
it does I would use a different tube and gauge for the black water and
drinking water tanks.............

Steve Lusardi January 23rd 09 09:18 PM

Water Usage Meter

Differential pressure guages are manometers by definition. Perhaps you mean
a loop of tubing with a yard stick ruler and colored water. If so, yes that
will work fine, but that rig takes up a lot of space and is rather ugly to
look at. PS I just bought a new 50 inch Magnahelic guage for $25 on ebay.
Steve

Peter[_3_] January 28th 09 03:28 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Dec 29 2008, 4:01*am, foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), *installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

Run a clear plastic hose (the one with the string embedded in the
tubing wall) from the drain of the tank to the water tank vent. You
then have a site guage for the tank. If you are a sailboat you may
have to run the line across the boat so when it heels you don't drain
the tank.

BruceinBangkok January 28th 09 11:27 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:28:28 -0800 (PST), Peter
wrote:

[...]

You don't even need then vent connection, just run the tubing a couple
of feet higher then the tank so it won't run over when the boat heels.
Cheers,

Bruce

John Navas January 30th 09 12:24 AM

Water Usage Meter

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:27:21 +0700, BruceinBangkok
wrote in
:

wrote:

Run a clear plastic hose (the one with the string embedded in the
tubing wall) from the drain of the tank to the water tank vent. You
then have a site guage for the tank. If you are a sailboat you may
have to run the line across the boat so when it heels you don't drain
the tank.

You don't even need then vent connection, just run the tubing a couple
of feet higher then the tank so it won't run over when the boat heels.

Surge siphoning can still be a problem. I speak from painful
experience.

--
Best regards,
John Navas, publisher of Navas' Sailing & Racing in

BruceinBangkok January 30th 09 12:23 PM

Water Usage Meter

wrote:

Run a clear plastic hose (the one with the string embedded in the
tubing wall) from the drain of the tank to the water tank vent. You
then have a site guage for the tank. If you are a sailboat you may
have to run the line across the boat so when it heels you don't drain
the tank.

You don't even need then vent connection, just run the tubing a couple
of feet higher then the tank so it won't run over when the boat heels.

Surge siphoning can still be a problem. I speak from painful
experience.

I can understand surge but siphoning when the outlet is above the
inlet?
Cheers,

Bruce

John Navas February 1st 09 07:31 PM

Water Usage Meter

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:23:29 +0700, BruceinBangkok
wrote in
:

wrote:

Run a clear plastic hose (the one with the string embedded in the
tubing wall) from the drain of the tank to the water tank vent. You
then have a site guage for the tank. If you are a sailboat you may
have to run the line across the boat so when it heels you don't drain
the tank.

You don't even need then vent connection, just run the tubing a couple
of feet higher then the tank so it won't run over when the boat heels.

Surge siphoning can still be a problem. I speak from painful
experience.

I can understand surge but siphoning when the outlet is above the
inlet?

While it won't continue indefinitely, momentum of water in the tube from
surge movement can draw additional water out due to siphoning until that
momentum is lost, resulting in quite a bit more outflow than expected,
which can have additional negative consequences when the vent outlet is
near things that can be damaged by water. Thus the vent outlet should
be high enough to prevent outflow even when heeled over, including surge
effects, and even so should drain overboard or at least into the bilge.

patrick jankowiak March 19th 09 12:33 AM

Water Usage Meter

foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

If you have a positive displacement water pump and you know its
displacement, then you can count its revolutions.

Rich March 22nd 09 04:19 AM

Water Usage Meter

How about the Digiflow 8000T? Search eBay for "Digiflow". It's flow
rate is down at 0.3 gpm. About $42 with shipping on eBay.

I have no connection with this product or vendor, but I have been
mildly interested myself in such an item.

Rich

foggywaters March 22nd 09 08:06 AM

Water Usage Meter

Yes - That one has come to my attention. I had concern that the 3/8"
tubing size might be a problem. I have a ShuFlo pump and the hose
from it is 3/4". I recently did a short test by inserting about 10" of
3/8" tubing in this line. The times to draw a gallon of water were
almost identical at about 27 seconds. While I had the fittings off the
pump I noted although the hose is 3"4" the pump end of the fitting is
only about 3/8".

Foggy