posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Navigation light monitor

Meindert Sprang wrote:
Agreed. But it can be made even simpler: buy a cheap $2 current relay and
connect the coil in series with the lamp or even cheaper: buy a $0.10 read
contact and coil the wire to the lamp 20 times around the reed contact. The
contact closes when current flows through the wire. Drive a small lamp or
LED with it and you're done. And for the life of me, I cannot understand why
this is not a standard feature in ANY safety related application like nav
lights or even tail/break lights on cars...

Meindert

Great! The reed contact idea sounds perfect. The only problem might be
mechanical if the cable is thick but, in that case, I guess you only
need few coils. It is a matter of finding just the minimum number of
coils to reach the threshold B considering Ampere law.

I will try it.

Daniele

navigation light dilemma lyle General 4 September 25th 08 04:02 AM
Navigation Light Range Question Jeff ASA 0 February 16th 07 01:17 PM
Navigation Light Question Jeff ASA 0 February 6th 07 03:48 PM
Navigation light switch problems GB Cruising 5 July 24th 06 04:22 PM
Navigation Light Switch [email protected] General 7 October 4th 04 06:23 PM