BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ice age? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/99822-ice-age.html)

Gordon November 5th 08 11:56 PM

Ice age?

Alarmists Still Heated Even As World Cools

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 11/4/2008

Climate Change: It's been a bad year for global warming alarmists.
Record cold periods and snowfalls are occurring around the globe. The
hell that the radicals have promised is freezing over.

As the British House of Commons debated a climate-change bill that
pledged the United Kingdom to reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 80%
by 2050, London was hit by its first October snow since 1922.

Apparently Mother Nature wasn't paying attention. The British people,
however, are paying attention — to reality. A poll found that 60% of
them doubt the claims that global warming is both man-made and urgent.

Elsewhere, the Swiss lowlands last month received the most snow for any
October since records began. Zurich got 20 centimeters, breaking the
record of 14 centimeters set in 1939. Ocala, Fla., experienced its
second-lowest October temperature since 1850.

October temperatures fell to record lows in Oregon as well. On Oct. 10,
Boise, Idaho, got the earliest snow in its history — 1.7 inches. That
beat the old record by seven-tenths of an inch and one day on the calendar.

In the Southern Hemisphere, where winter was winding down, Durban, South
Africa, had its coldest September night in history in the middle of the
month. Some regions of the country had unusual late-winter snows. A
month earlier, New Zealand officials reported that Mount Ruapehu had its
largest snow base ever.

At the top of the world, the International Arctic Research Center
reported last month, there was 29% more Arctic sea ice this year than last.

None of this matters, of course, to the warming zealots. It doesn't
matter if it's too dry or too wet, too hot or too cold. All of it, they
say, is caused by global warming.

We believe, however, as do many reputable scientists, that the warming
and cooling of the Earth is a natural phenomenon dictated by forces
beyond our control, from ocean currents to solar activity.

The latest warming trend, which appears to have ended in 1998, is the
result of the end of the Little Ice Age, which extended from roughly the
16th century to the 19th. During that period, Muir Glacier in Alaska
filled Glacier Bay. In fact, when the first Russian explorers arrived in
Alaska in the 1740s, there was no Glacier Bay — just a wall of ice where
the entrance would be.

As the Earth warmed, long before SUVs roamed the globe, Alaska's
glaciers also warmed and began to recede, starting in the 1800s. All
that may be changing. During the winter and summer of 2007-2008,
unusually large amounts of winter snow were followed by unusually cold
temperatures in June, July and August.

"In June, I was surprised to see snow still at sea level in Prince
William Sound," says U.S. Geological Survey glaciologist Bruce Molnia.
"On the Juneau Icefield, there was still 20 feet of new snow on the
surface of the Taku Glacier in late July."

It was the worst summer he'd seen in two decades.

As the Anchorage Daily News reports, "Never before in the history of a
research project dating back to 1946 had the Juneau Icefield witnessed
the kind if snow buildup that came this year. It was similar on a lot of
other glaciers too."

It's been "a long time on most glaciers," Molnia says, "where they've
actually had positive mass balance." In other words, more snow is
falling in the winter than melts in the summer, making the glaciers
thicker in the middle.

Glaciers can appear to be shrinking even as they are growing. Photos
taken from ships can record receding edges even as mass is building
inland. When they get thick enough, the weight forces the glacier to
advance.

The U.S. may owe its ascension to a global power on the global warming
that began with the end of the Little Ice Age, which almost doomed the
American Revolution. George Washington's famous winter at Valley Forge
was part of that natural phenomenon.

As the climate warmed from 1800 to 1900, the U.S. tripled in size,
spreading westward to straddle a continent. The population of the windy
and very cold trading post known as Chicago grew from 4,000 in 1800 to
1.5 million by 1900, sitting on a great lake carved by glaciers long
since receded.

Due to a decline in solar activity and other factors, the Earth is
cooling and has been since 1998. And a peer-reviewed study published in
April by Nature predicts the world will continue cooling at least
through 2015.

Now, if only we could get the warming alarmists to face facts and cool
it as well.

--

______________________________

C A L A M A R

"If I am not for myself, who will be?

If I am only for myself, what am I?

If not now, when?" - Hillel

Larry November 6th 08 01:02 AM

Ice age?

Gordon wrote in news:g9qdnfPgS_rKr4
:

Now, if only we could get the warming alarmists to face facts and cool
it as well.

That's very easy.....simply cut all government cash handouts to global
warming college professors and global warming will cure itself overnight.
Professional teat suckers, they'll find another grant to apply for within a
few minutes.

Global warming is caused by the SUN, just like the rest of life on earth.

Next thing they'll try to blame humanity for is this damned constant
magnetic field reversals every few hundred thousand years. The Southern
Magnetic Anomoly keeps getting bigger and bigger, a big NORTH pole! They
all rang the alarms and grant applications poured into scientific grant
bureaucracies until some smartass pointed out he could prove it happends
every few hundred thousand years for the last few million. They couldn't
even blame it on alternating current flowing through the wires. It died
before it started, except Algore claims he invented it, of course.

Capt. JG November 6th 08 01:19 AM

Ice age?

"Larry" wrote in message
Gordon wrote in news:g9qdnfPgS_rKr4
:

Now, if only we could get the warming alarmists to face facts and cool
it as well.

That's very easy.....simply cut all government cash handouts to global
warming college professors and global warming will cure itself overnight.
Professional teat suckers, they'll find another grant to apply for within
few minutes.

Global warming is caused by the SUN, just like the rest of life on earth.

You should probably stick to talking about things you know about...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stephen Trapani November 6th 08 02:17 AM

Ice age?

Capt. JG wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
Gordon wrote in news:g9qdnfPgS_rKr4
:

Now, if only we could get the warming alarmists to face facts and cool
it as well.

That's very easy.....simply cut all government cash handouts to global
warming college professors and global warming will cure itself overnight.
Professional teat suckers, they'll find another grant to apply for within
few minutes.

Global warming is caused by the SUN, just like the rest of life on earth.

You should probably stick to talking about things you know about...

Not only did many people who have investigated this issue, including
myself, predict the current cooling trend; I'll go one step further:
I'll bet $100 that within the next five years the Greens will jump on
the mantra that CO2 (or whatever man made substance) is causing _global
cooling_ and we are soon doomed to a global ice age thanks to mankind!

They have already changed the talking point from "Global warming" to
"Climate change," so no matter which way the facts point, they can still
condemn mankind for thinking human beings are more valuable than trees.

Stephen

HPEER November 6th 08 02:31 AM

Ice age?

Hummm.....................

I've been following this topic on another site where the debate has been
raging for a couple of months.

From what I can tell the vast majority of the scientific community
firmly supports antrhropogenic warming and, if anything, the rate of
warming is significantly faster than simulations predict.

Of course there are a few nay sayers.

I would recommend the following link to someone who was truly interested
in the topic. Pretty good debate going on there.

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic44493-0-asc-0.html

Larry November 6th 08 02:44 AM

Ice age?

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:q_SdnbwI46CU24
reasolutions:

You should probably stick to talking about things you know about...

So YOUR opinion is the only valid one? What a ****head.

Vic Smith November 6th 08 03:07 AM

Ice age?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:31:12 -0500, hpeer wrote:

Hummm.....................

I've been following this topic on another site where the debate has been
raging for a couple of months.

From what I can tell the vast majority of the scientific community
firmly supports antrhropogenic warming and, if anything, the rate of
warming is significantly faster than simulations predict.

Of course there are a few nay sayers.

I would recommend the following link to someone who was truly interested
in the topic. Pretty good debate going on there.

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic44493-0-asc-0.html

I don't pay too much attention to it except to have both summer and
winter clothes, which should cover me.
But I saw something on a science program that said the man-made
atmospheric pollution has either kept us from an ice-age or from
melting - can't remember which. Point is, it was counter-intuitive
and just showed me how little we really know.
Sort of like shivering is to warm you up. Body temp mechanism
feedbacks are complex, but global stuff is in another dimension.
Long time ago I read that we could melt the ice caps by dumping
cargo plane loads of coal dust on them.
I recall the oceans absorb solar heat, so to cool the earth we could
dump plane loads of a floating reflective material onto the oceans.
Maybe Christmas tree foil or that glitter stuff kids use with Elmer's
glue. Best left to Dow Laboratories to come up with something,
I suppose. Or maybe 3M or Dunkin Donuts.
Something that won't clog boat cooling systems.
Could get disastrous results, but that's why we tweak such projects.
Yep, have to tweak a project like that sucker. Everybody should
probably be issued an umbrella and a fan. And some canned food.
Glad we got the mad scientists looking out for us, but if they fail
the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers can take over.

--Vic

wordsmith November 6th 08 03:13 AM

Ice age?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:02:58 +0000, someone posting as Larry purportedly
wrote:

snip

The Chinese have a proverb that may help provide some perspective.

To be uncertain is to be uncomfortable, but to be certain is to be a fool.

--
poking dumbasses in the forehead, till my finger hurts.

Capt. JG November 6th 08 04:54 AM

Ice age?

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:q_SdnbwI46CU24
reasolutions:

You should probably stick to talking about things you know about...

So YOUR opinion is the only valid one? What a ****head.

Never said that. I don't have all the facts or even most of the facts, and
when that happens, I don't purport to know what's going on, unlike you,
apparently.

Additionally, I never called you a ****head, which sort of invalidates your
claim, since personal attacks are the hallmark of desperation when defending
one's opinions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 6th 08 04:55 AM

Ice age?

m...
wrote:

snip

The Chinese have a proverb that may help provide some perspective.

To be uncertain is to be uncomfortable, but to be certain is to be a fool.

--
poking dumbasses in the forehead, till my finger hurts.

Thank you.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com