MLapla4120

Default Replacing old cast iron fuel tank...what's the best tank?

Hi,
I'm in the process of replacing an old rust cast iron tank in the aft engine
compartment. It is one of two on the port and starboard sides. The other
one was replaced before I bought the boat and is in good shape. (stainless
steel, 40 gallons.) I want to know if there is another type of tank that is
better than stainless steel. I know plastics/polymers have changed alot in
recent years. What's the best way to go and why? What are the costs?

Thanks
Steve

"santacruz" wrote in message
Excluding monel (very $$) - best diesel tanks are said to be alum -
not s/s a the sulphur in diesel attacks the weld areas in the tank and
can cause pin hole leaks.

I agree on the comments about S/S and diesel, a NO-NO.

Aluminum would be the logical choice for gas or diesel in a custom built
tank. If your not restricted to an unusual tank shape, there are many ready
made plastic tanks available upto about that capacity. Tempo comes to mind..

Personally, I wouldn't want to store gasoline (long term) in plastic tanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

fuel tank cleaning kozmo6969 General 3 June 11th 04 07:00 PM
97 sea ray sundancer fuel tank? Run all 8 General 1 April 17th 04 07:34 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM