Default Rachel Carson SPOT link

Wayne.B wrote in
news
Looks like your off and running. SPOT shows you going east along the
north shore of Lake Erie at 16 kts. The Lake E weather buoy is
reporting ESE winds at 17 gusting 21 with seas at 3.6 ft. That would
make the wind on deck somewhere in the mid 30s. Sounds a bit brisk
but probably a fun ride on that boat if you don't have to go outside.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/45005.html

Brrr.....I had to kick up the heat a notch just thinking about it....(c;

It'll be fun watching them come through the locks.

On 23 Oct 2008 15:06:06 GMT, Larry wrote:

It'll be fun watching them come through the locks.

Do you have a good webcam site for the canal and/or locks ?

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 23 Oct 2008 15:06:06 GMT, Larry wrote:

It'll be fun watching them come through the locks.

Do you have a good webcam site for the canal and/or locks ?

Not the Welland, sorry.

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil in
those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario. They've easily gotten the
hours on it for that first, important oil change at this point. Even if
they changed the oil before they left, they should do one after this hard
run which will stir up any metal filings left in it from the manufacturer.

Oil change and filters.....every 20 hours for the first 100 is a good idea.

Those bearings are wearing in and contaminating it as they smooth
themselves.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 23 Oct 2008 15:06:06 GMT, Larry wrote:

It'll be fun watching them come through the locks.

Do you have a good webcam site for the canal and/or locks ?

Not the Welland, sorry.

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil in
those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario. They've easily gotten the
hours on it for that first, important oil change at this point. Even if
they changed the oil before they left, they should do one after this hard
run which will stir up any metal filings left in it from the manufacturer.

Oil change and filters.....every 20 hours for the first 100 is a good idea.

Those bearings are wearing in and contaminating it as they smooth
themselves.

As you can't stop once into the Welland Canal, it would be a good idea
to do the oil change at Port Colborne, right at the entrance to the
canal. Did that trip last year going the other way, once you enter
the system there's nowhere to stop that I could see. We did it at
night as some commercial stuff got ahead of us.

Jan
"If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

Oil change and filters.....every 20 hours for the first 100 is a good idea.

That would be extremely conservative. They probably changed it after
the sea trials which should be good enough for the trip. No big deal
if they do change it however. I'd bet anything they have an oil
change system that will pump out the old oil into a holding tank and
then pump new oil in from a supply tank. The whole thing can be done
in less than 10 minutes per engine, underway if necessary by shutting
down first one side and then the other.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil in
those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario.

They are almost through the canal as of 8:30PM after a brief stop in
Port Colborne, possibly for customs clearance or canal lockage fees.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:31:35 -0400, someone posting as Wayne.B purportedly
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil
in those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario.

They are almost through the canal as of 8:30PM after a brief stop in
Port Colborne, possibly for customs clearance or canal lockage fees.

Wheatley and Pt. Colborne are both in Ontario so it's not likely a
Customs issue. They may have had to wait for a laker to clear upbound
before entering themselves. There are drydocks and service facilities
above Lock 1 in St. Catharines.

--
if it was easy, everyone would do it

wordsmith wrote in
m:

St. Catharines.

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

I talked to the Smart Car/Mercedes dealer in St Catharines about flying up
to the border and buying a diesel-powered Smart CDi Fortwo from him. He
had the cars to sell me but he said he had not had a single US customer who
had successfully been able to relicense one of the cars taken back to the
USA from his dealership. I don't understand why. The smart cars are all
listed on the EPA's list of cars you're supposed to be allowed to import
that are exempt from the testing.

Maybe it's cheaper to buy and license them in Ontario and keep them
licensed up there. I can't imagine that, though.

Smart USA doesn't want to sell me a car without some "waiting list"
gimmick, which is bull**** in this market at this time when noone is buying
cars. Smart USA also doesn't want to import the 3-cyl, common-rail DIESEL
they have in Canada. They only want to sell the high end sport models
marked up to $18K+. I want a basic diesel with no $1200 radio, no sunroof
to leak and only the air conditioner. They refuse to sell it to
me...arrogant *******s.

On 24 Oct 2008 02:44:18 GMT, Larry wrote:

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

I've driven through there a few times. What you can see from the
main highway is very industrial and not exactly a garden spot.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:44:18 +0000, someone posting as Larry purportedly
wrote:

wordsmith wrote in
m:

St. Catharines.

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

there are some nice areas in St. Kitts -as the locals call it- Pt.
Dalhousie is nice -there are a couple of marinas there -lots of sail-
it's at the mouth of the original 1812-14 Welland Canal... but like a lot
of places, there are some pretty run down areas as well. GM is a big
employer there but they are in decline. The surrounding area and Niagara-
on-the-Lake is nice -agriculture and "historical" -this area is really
where Canada began...the wine industry is quite big and some of it is
actually worth trying...

but as to your Smart car, are you going to convert it to a veg-o-matic?

--
if it was easy, everyone would do it

Don't buy a SPOT quite yet Roger Long Cruising 4 June 29th 08 04:25 PM
Johnny Carson dies Tuuuk General 0 January 24th 05 11:08 PM
Good-bye Johnny Carson! Scout ASA 0 January 24th 05 10:34 AM