Dick Locke

Default Cybernet café while cruising Experience sought

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:19:05 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Likewise, what about wall-type power to plug into (realizing that we'd have
to carry converters to non-US-type power countries)?

Check your power supply, most of them will work from 100-240 volts and
at the most you'ld need a plug adapter.
Tom R.

I was standing in the security check in line at Logan Airport in February
and my friend and I struck up a conversation with a fellow from southern
California. He had a Cal 34 and told me that his marina put in a relatively
powerful Wi-Fi antenna on top of a mast in the marina. He said he could
connect several miles offshore.

Tom

Rosalie B.

"Tom R." wrote:

I was standing in the security check in line at Logan Airport in February
and my friend and I struck up a conversation with a fellow from southern
California. He had a Cal 34 and told me that his marina put in a relatively
powerful Wi-Fi antenna on top of a mast in the marina. He said he could
connect several miles offshore.

There are free and for-pay wireless network up and down the east coast
for internet and email.

Free wireless is in Belhaven (but only in and around the marina
office), Oriental (ditto), and Charleston (Mt. Pleasant), and Norfolk
(Waterside) where I could connect from the boat. There was a wireless
network at the Starbucks for free at Bayside in Miami.

There are for/pay (by the hour, day, week or month) wireless networks
in Vero Beach, St. Augustine, and I found some but don't know whether
I could hook into them or not in Jacksonville Beach, Coinjock, and
several other places. So there are 'hot spots' where you can use
wireless. Skipper Bob is going to put it in his next book.

I never pay for getting email or connecting with the internet when I'm
traveling in the USA. I just wait until I can get a free connection
and I can usually find one somewhere. In Key West BTW I use the RV
park on the military base.

I only have experience with cyber cafes outside the US in the Bahamas
as I've not had a laptop down in the Caribbean. They are quite
reasonable (about 10 cents a minute which is way less than phoning) in
Nassau and Lucaya. Other places (Chub) charge as much as $1.00 a
minute for a call to the US on a modem.

It might be cheaper for her to get a phone for them to call her on.

grandma Rosalie