Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dick Locke

Default Belt and suspenders on holding tank

I have what I think is overkill on my holding tank pumpout setup but I
want to check to see if anyone has experience saying it's a good idea.

The holding tank has three pumpout lines. One to the deck for the
shore-based vacuum pumpout, one to an electric macerator pump, and a
third that goes to the manual bilge pump via a y-valve. The manual
bilge pump can be directed to pump from the bilge or from the holding
tank.

I had a small leak in the third pumpout line where it connects to the
y-valve. Rather than trouble-shoot why sewage is in that line, I'm
inclined to simply remove it. I hate to see the manual bilge pump
complicated with y-valves, it would take some extraordinary
circumstances to make me want to run sewage through bilge pump lines
that aren't designed for it, and I can carry a spare macerator pump.

Has anyone been in circumstances where they found this setup valuable,
or where they wished they had this setup?