posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default RIP Olin Stephens

NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club’s Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

wrote in message
NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club’s Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

Wasn't he and Capt. Rob close friends?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Olin-S...ears-old/48832

-- Tom.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
:
: wrote in message
: ...
: NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
: New York Yacht Club’s Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
: joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
: total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
: 1980.
:
: Wasn't he and Capt. Rob close friends?
:

Yes, and it was Capt. Rob who actually drew the lines of some of the more
successful yachts.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club’s Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

Sad news, it's truly the end of an era. Olin Stephens was the most
influential yacht designer for several generations, for the whole
world.

jlrogers±³© wrote:
Wasn't he and Capt. Rob close friends?

Well, all of Bubbles friends are imaginary but Olin did contribute a
chapter to Cap'n Rob's coffee table book.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
:
: wrote in message
: ...
: NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
: New York Yacht Club’s Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
: joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
: total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
: 1980.
:
: Wasn't he and Capt. Rob close friends?
:

Yes, and it was Capt. Rob who actually drew the lines of some of the more
successful yachts.

No, but Stephens wife, not knowing what to do with the half models she
has been left, has decided to give them to Bob. In turn Bob will flog
them for a kings ransom on flea bay, and brag ad-nauseum about it to the
group even as we read about her starving grandchildren.

Cheers
Marty

wrote:

Well, all of Bubbles friends are imaginary but Olin did contribute a
chapter to Cap'n Rob's coffee table book.

Whatever happened to that book? I can't seem to dig up ISBN for it?

Cheers
Marty

wrote in message
NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club's Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

Oh my, that's sad news. Well, in his honor, I was sailing this weekend.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
wrote in message
NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club's Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

Oh my, that's sad news. Well, in his honor, I was sailing this weekend.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Timothy Leary's dead too.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

redbard wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

wrote in message
. ..

NEW YORK, NY, September 13, 2008 -- Olin J. Stephens, Member #1 on the
New York Yacht Club's Seniority List, passed away this weekend. He
joined the NYYC in 1930, or 78 years ago. He designed the winners of a
total of eight of the nine America's Cup matches between 1937 and
1980.

Oh my, that's sad news. Well, in his honor, I was sailing this weekend.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Timothy Leary's dead too.