Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gould 0738

Default Bullfrog Boats

This line of boats is becoming fairly well known in the Pacific NW. Sometimes,
these small ventures fail to get off the ground but this particular firm is
doing well with a unique product.

Here's a punfully awful synopsis of the company's general produt line and
current activities:

*******************

"Wart's Hoppening" at Bullfrog Boats?

One of the many "good guys" in the boat business here in the Pacific Northwest
is Craig Henderson, the king frog in the small but rapidly expanding
manufacturer kicking out a steady stream of "unsinkable" Bullfrog boats. We're
seeing more Bullfrogs everywhere we look, so we assumed business must be
hopping. To avoid leaping to a conclusion, (and possibly appearing all wet as a
result) we jumped in the trusty terrestrial speedster. Kicking it into gear, we
bounded up the freeway to Henderson's pad, nestled among the ponds and pastures
north of Bellingham.

We've seen more than a few boat factories over the years, but the Bullfrog
industrial complex is one of the more informal and relaxed. One could mistake
it for an ordinary country barn. It is not easily "spotted" from the road.

When a visitor arrives, the official Bullfrog Boats greeter hurries
enthusiastically into the parking lot. Talk about first class service! The
greeter waits patiently for the driver's door to open and then plants a big,
wet, welcoming kiss on the surprised caller. Once out of the car, a visitor is
led into the building by the same happy-go-lucky character- a big brown dog.

It was pleasing to discover that sales are springing to new heights at
Bullfrog. Craig Henderson seldom misses a boat show and he runs a steady
advertising campaign. "Bullfrog" is a quality boat, and product integrity
combined with excellence in customer service is earning Henderson a growing
following among NW boaters.

"A lot of it is word of mouth," said Henderson. "A year or so ago, I sold a
10-foot yacht tender to a member of a yacht club over on the Olympic Peninsula.
His friends were so impressed that I just delivered six more to members of the
same club. They came over and ordered them together, I gave them all Bullfrog
shirts, and it was a lot of fun."

Bullfrogs have a rather unique anatomy, both the amphibians and the boats.
Bullfrog boats are built with aluminum bottoms for strength and durability.
Unlike a boat with an inflated bottom, a Bullfrog can be dragged across a
gravelly beach without fear of compromising structural integrity. The most
visible characteristic of a Bullfrog is the topsides construction. Sections of
molded, polyethylene tubing are bolted together and filled with closed cell
floatation foam. The polyethylene is non-abrasive, and won't mar the finish
when coming alongside a fiberglass yacht.

"The boat actually works just perfectly without the foam," said Henderson. "But
it's a Coat Guard requirement, and even if it weren't required I like to take a
'both belt and suspenders' sort of approach to boat building. When you need a
boat that will take absolutely anything, you need it then and there."

The 10' yacht tender continues to be Bullfrog's largest seller. The tender
comes standard with a rotary helm, cushioned aluminum seats, bow rails,
backrests, and more. The boat weighs 282 pounds, is rated for 3 persons or 589
pounds, has a 5'6" beam, and is designed for motors up to 20HP. "We've been
using Honda outboards fairly exclusively, lately" said Henderson. "They have
proven to be very reliable, and that reliability is part of the experience we
want our customers to enjoy."

We had to agree that a good engine was certainly important. It would be rather
embarrassing for a Bullfrog to be "toad" back to the dock.

Bullfrog offers a 13-foot "Sport Tender" for larger yachts, as well as 15, 17,
and 21-foot sport and utility boats.

"We're getting some attention from the Department of Homeland Security," said
Henderson, (quickly proceeding to clarify that the Department is considering
the purchase of some Bullfrog Boats). "We are now one of the vendors approved
by the GSA, so federal agencies can buy Bullfrogs."

Back in the not-so-secret portion of the Bullfrog factory, an exciting new
product is taking shape. We got a look at the partially completed hull #1 of
Bullfrog's new flagship model, a 27-footer with a "cuddy cabin". "We'll be
debuting this model at the fall boat shows" said Henderson. "It will make a
good dive boat, workboat, small charter boat, or police boat. With a pair of
high HP outboards, this boat will be able to overtake almost any boat on the
water, and especially so when the going gets rough. This boat will be able to
run incredibly fast in conditions where most boats will be forced to throttle
back."

Things are going swimmingly at Bullfrog. The firm appears to be well into a
"ribbeting" saga of success. If you believe in fairy tales, do watch out for
that big wet kiss from Craig Henderson's greeter: it may be the first step in a
process that turns your dinghy into a Bullfrog. Oh well, all is not lost. Odds
are, you'll live hoppily ever after, (or at least until you croak).

There is, (of course), additional information about Bullfrog on the web.
www.bullfrogboats.com