BoatBanter.com

-   -   Dubarry Shamrocks (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/97762-dubarry-shamrocks.html)

Vic Smith September 8th 08 04:26 AM

Dubarry Shamrocks

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:04:47 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 14:42:19 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

Thanks Dennis
I can't do the "match the price" thing. In Australia, the cheapest I can
get them is $499 or about $US440 plus I have to pay postage from the East
coast. I see them in Pineapple Sails for $US295. Like you, I am very
concerned about fit and return issues, the reason for my caution.
Hoges in WA

Personally, if I decided I wanted to spend such an excessive amount
for a pair of shoes, there would no problem kicking in a few hundred
dollars more to fly to a store and have them properly fitted.
You may well find them unsuitable.
In a backwards fashion, your concern about shipping costs make me
think of somebody who will scour eBay for weeks to get an item for
$2.00 instead of $3.00, then pop $35.00 for next-day shipping.
At the end, your feet are precious, and if it is only Dubarry
Shamrocks that will keep them happy, have those shoes properly fitted.

Vic
It's not the shipping costs that are the problem, it's the logistics.
I'm half a world away from where they are, in Western Australia.
And it's not an eBay issue thing either, it's simply that I have to source
things on-line.
An air fare for me to SF is something like $1,400.
I'm also curious about Helly Hansen boots, but I can't get them in Oz
either.
As you suggest, having them properly fitted makes a lot of sense - I'm just
having trouble with the price difference of $US440 to $US295.

Sorry Hoges, I understood it as a trip across Oz, not clear to S.F.
It's odd how Oz pricing works. I can understand a substantial price
difference for a boat or car due to shipping costs. But shoes?
Most likely limited distribution/retailing rights.
My suggestion is to buy an international calling card and
try calling the sellers with the best prices to sort out the size,
return, and shipping issues.
My son is in Oz and the cards are very cheap, as they are here in the
U.S. 8-12 hours for $US5.00 or close to it.
With a high-priced item like those shoes you should find decent
customer service when phoning, and even a contact name for
any issue that may arise.

--Vic

Hoges in WA September 8th 08 06:38 AM

Dubarry Shamrocks

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:04:47 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

You got it in one with the limited distribution rights, Vic. That's always
what it boils down to.

It's not as if they do anything like raising market awareness or promoting
the product either - they let the manufacturer do that and do nothing other
than inflate the price because they know the alternatives are limited.

I can understand it when they carry a range and promote it etc as you need
to get a return on your investment but they carry only a couple of demos and
then order in to fulfil.

The Musto range is an example - even the Australian Distributor can't be
bothered carrying it all, let alone the retailers - they'll order it from
the UK, though.

My m-i-l lives in Az (near Kingman) and I was going to get her to ship on to
me if I get them from Pineapple Sails but I want to get comfortable with the
size issue first.

E.g. I have a pair of Henri-Lloyd deck shoes that I bought in Oz that say Eu
46 UK 11 US 12. I have a pair of Columbia hikers that say Eu 46 UK 12 US13.
The Lloyds are a little tight so I guess that the US 12 is probably more of
an accurate description than relying on the Eu number?

So here we have two that say Eu46 that are obviously not the same??

I'll sit and think a little I guess.
Hoges in WA

Hoges in WA September 8th 08 06:47 AM

Dubarry Shamrocks

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
Hi
Anyone here own a pair of Dubarrys?
I'm considering buying some Shamrocks and was wondering just how
accurate Dubarry's sizing is.

Sometimes companies make things that say one size but they are "big
for..." or "small for..." what they say.

I think it is more common with clothes than footwear but I'm still a
bit curious.

Aside from that, are they good boots?

I have another OPB trip coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking
of spoiling myself with some booties to wear.

Hoges in WA

I own a pair of Dubarry's and consider them to be the best sailing boots
on the planet, (they should be at that price!)

Size-wise, mine are European size 43, equivalent to British 9's, (is
that US 10's?). I would never buy expensive gear like this over the 'Net
as it's a pain having to return them if they don't fit. I found a local
chandlerey who almost matched the best Internet price I could find, and
was able to try on various pairs before purchasing.

Have had them for 3 years, and they are almost like new. I use the wax
that horsey people use on their "tack", cheaper than the Dubarry wax,
and probably just as good, if not better.

They are supremely comfortable, even worn ashore all day.

Dennis.

Thanks Dennis
I can't do the "match the price" thing. In Australia, the cheapest I can
get them is $499 or about $US440 plus I have to pay postage from the East
coast. I see them in Pineapple Sails for $US295. Like you, I am very
concerned about fit and return issues, the reason for my caution.
Hoges in WA

If you like, I can give Pineapple a call next week and see what they say
about the size marked vs. the actual size. Of course, there's not much
they'll be able to tell me about the fit for your foot, but something is
better than nothing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thanks Jonathan but I'll just go through the website order form they have.
I think the lady there figures I'm hard work - I've got stuff from her
once but the next lot I inquired about she wanted to ship insured with
some firm that doesn't do international - just goes to the US border. I
said not to bother and just do US postal but I think she could see that
leading to tears and grief with stuff not arriving so she backed away. I
understand her p.o.v. - they don't need the downside when there's probably
only a small margin in it for their upside. I was disappointed but
certainly not blind to her assessment of the deal.

Hoges in WA

Dennis Pogson[_2_] September 8th 08 08:54 AM

Dubarry Shamrocks

wrote:

[...]

Ireland, where the Dubarries are made, is in the EU, and uses EU sizing on
it's website. An EU 46 is the same as a UK 11 or a US12. Dubarry's have a
decent website and I am sure would respond to e-mails if you need more help
with sizing. It is always better with sailing boots to err on the big side
as you can wear all kinds of socks when sailing (depending on the weather
and your climate).

I don't know how the boots bought direct from Dubarry would compare
price-wise with those bought from Ozi chandlers, but I am sure you would get
some help if you made contact with them. Do stress that you need sailing
boots, as their range is extensive and a great hit with the horsey crowd
here in UK.

For the record, I paid £165 cash for my Dubarry's.

http://www.dubarryboots.com/catalogue/20
http://www.dubarryboots.com/about_marine.php
http://www.sailingclothingstore.co.u...434_bd412.aspx

Dennis.

Dennis Pogson[_2_] September 8th 08 12:43 PM

Dubarry Shamrocks

[...]

A pdf file can be found at http://www.dubarry.com/DubarryMarine08.pdf and
gives much more info on their sailing boot range.

Dennis

Hoges in WA September 8th 08 01:17 PM

Dubarry Shamrocks

[...]

Dennis:- Their website is a bit screwed at present - however, I have fired
off an email as suggested looking for some guidance. Thanks

Dennis Pogson[_2_] September 8th 08 01:51 PM

Dubarry Shamrocks

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

[...]

Looks like they only have one agent for the whole of Australia!

Burke Pty. Ltd.,
1/5 Clyde Street, Rydalmere, NSW 2116, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9638 4333
Fax: +61 2 9638 7951
Email:
Web:
www.burkemarine.com.au

No doubt you are aware of this. You could ask to be an agent for WA. Free
samples? There must be demand in the Fremantle area!

Dennis.