BoatBanter.com

-   -   Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/97562-re-power-sail-squadron-recreational-boater-qualifications.html)

[email protected] September 1st 08 03:38 AM

Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

On Aug 31, 6:58*pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:
Not necessarily straw-men.

As presented they were straw men. He set them and knocked them down
and then came to the unsubstantiated conclusion: "it looks like you
couldn't pass the test." It's a dishonest form of argument. I take
your point that type certification may be useful (and indeed Merchant
Marine creds are typed) but I found the presentation of the argument
so offensive that I didn't see any reason to dignify it with much of a
response.

-- Tom.

[email protected] September 1st 08 12:22 PM

Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:38:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 31, 6:58*pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:
Not necessarily straw-men.

As presented they were straw men. He set them and knocked them down
and then came to the unsubstantiated conclusion: "it looks like you
couldn't pass the test." It's a dishonest form of argument. I take
your point that type certification may be useful (and indeed Merchant
Marine creds are typed) but I found the presentation of the argument
so offensive that I didn't see any reason to dignify it with much of a
response.

-- Tom.

As you sow, so shall ye reap.