BoatBanter.com

-   -   What's best to remove oil? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9752-whats-best-remove-oil.html)

[email protected] April 14th 04 12:41 PM

What's best to remove oil?

Hi,

What's the best thing for the money for removing oil
from a motor in the bilge? I bought a drill pump, and
it worked okay. Once! After that it would never work
again. Someone told me about using a basting squeeze
bulb, and that worked great getting some lube out of
a transfer case, but it took quite a while and a lot of
times filling and emptying it. It would take forever to
empty a motor of oil, unless there's a quart size or
something.

Thanks for any suggestions,
David

John Gaquin April 14th 04 01:27 PM

What's best to remove oil?

wrote in message
Hi,

What's the best thing for the money for removing oil

David...
Check out http://makeashorterlink.com/?B24336508

I have a topsider, which has worked fine for several years. You pump up the
vacuum, and the lube gets evacuated through a smallish tube inserted in the
dipstick shaft. Takes a few minutes, and if you have a large quantity of
oil it can be cumbersome, emptying the can, etc. I only need it once,
sometimes twice a year, so I just can't justify an automated system.

John Gaquin

Dan Best April 14th 04 03:34 PM

What's best to remove oil?

I can personally vouch for either the Marina Pro
http://www.boatus-store.com/images/t...7493_MSK_T.JPG which I used to
use, or the Oil Boy http://www.boatus-store.com/images/thumb/22693_T.JPG
which I use now and like slightly better. Don't bother with this kind
http://www.boatus-store.com/images/thumb/05855_t.jpg As far as I'm
concerned, their worthless.

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Scott Vernon April 14th 04 03:44 PM

What's best to remove oil?

I have the 'Jabsco-Little Pal Pump Kit' on that page (came w/the boat) and
it works fine. Drips some when you take the tube out of the dipstick.
Someone told me you can buy similar item from a car parts store for less.
Remember, warm oil pumps easier.

Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

John K Kudera April 14th 04 04:11 PM

What's best to remove oil?

I bought an electric fuel pump on E bay, a length of copper tubing, to reach
the bottom of the pan, wired to plug into a cigarette lighter. Pump the oil,
put away til next time, works great for about $30.00

Evan Gatehouse April 14th 04 05:59 PM

What's best to remove oil?

I'm just in the midst of buying a used Yanmar 3GM30 engine (I got a deal :).
The mechanic I hired to check it out pointed out that the oil pan has NO
drain plug! He did mention that he had drilled and tapped a few Yanmar's
oil pans for a drain fitting to drain it out.

Do you know of anybody else that has done this - I suspect that the oil pan
may have a thicker spot / dummy plug for just this operation?

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)