Bc8181

Default PocketMail

Subject: PocketMail
From: Rosalie B.
Date: 4/27/2004 4:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time
x-no-archive:yes

"Tom R." wrote:

I used PocketMail with my PalmPilot in Europe and various places in the US
before cybercafes became prevalent. The service was good, but I had a major
problem with them that they could not seem to comprehend at the time. They
could not figure out how to leave mail on a POP server. Every message
resulted in deletion from the original server. That meant that long messages
that I wanted to save could not be saved. I spoke to PocketMail salespeople
and technicians repeatedly and told them how it could be done. I might as
well have talked to a tree. I finally dropped them and went to Mail2Web.com
which was far superior in functionality. I don't know if PocketMail ever
solved their problem, but I for one would not use them again under any
circumstances. Yes, they were nice, but nice did not cut it when I needed to
save messages on the original server.

I have the old Sharp PM and it still works, but there are some
problems.

1) This particular model works only with an analog phone, and while I
have an old bag phone which works very well, there are no packages
which allow roaming outside my home area (in my case the Chesapeake),
and so I pay 95 cents a minute (or $1.04 in FL with the additional
tax) for every call.

2) I can use the bag phone on the boat, but it is really made for
using a pay phone with an 800#. I find that pay phones in marinas
often do not work well with the pocketmail because there is too much
static on the line. Pay phones in a marine environment often do not
survive well.

3) There are three ways for pocketmail to get your mail and all have
some disadvantages.
a) You can change your address to pocketmail and drop other
addresses. This has the disadvantage of people who have used the
other address not being able to get in touch with you, but has the
advantage that spam doesn't follow you.

b) You can have pocketmail pick up your email from your main
address. This works well, if sometimes slowly and results in the mail
being left on the original server but marked 'read'. Also pocketmail
cannot pick up mail from AOL.

c) You can have your original ISP forward the mail to pocketmail.
In this case the mail will be deleted from the original ISP, but it
WILL be retained on the pocketmail server until you remove it.
Downloading to the pocketmail device does not remove it from the
pocketmail server.

There are also other issues with pocketmail. I get a lot of spam
because I've had my original email address for a long time. So my
main ISP has a spam filter. If I have my mail forwarded, it is
forwarded without being filtered. Pocketmail has serious glitches
with any kind of spam filters. For one thing it has to be done from
the pocketmail device and cannot be done from the internet and it
takes at least 3 calls to get mail from pocketmail purgatory.. See
above for the cost and accessibility issue.

That's why currently I have pocketmail pick up the email after the
filters of my main ISP have been applied. However, this means that if
someone gets caught in the spam filter, I have to wait until I have
internet access to deal with it.

"Bc8181" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Anybody had any experience with PocketMail? Is it still around? Where can

you
get one?

Thanks,
Bob