Default Whisper Wind Turbine

I'm on a canal with no tunnels and best of all, no locks. And, it's a
ship canal so it's very wide and has plenty of room to pass other
boats so I don't think that is a problem. And you're right, it would
be unwise to try to cruise with the thing up. I'm not going to do
that. I'll only erect it when moored up.

Don't think I need an A frame. I can lift 21 kg on a pole myself. It
would be on a pole and you just lift if into the upright position and
hook on support ropes when it gets to upright. That's how I handle my
present, not very powerful Rutland 913 which weighs 10 kgs. I do
cruise with that up, unless the wind is high.

So, I return to my original question - if this is such a good idea,
why doesn't everybody do it? And, why are all commercial wind
turbines for boats the same size - around 1.2 metres diameter?

Thank you for your comments.

Peter

In article 03603ea9-a06b-463f-b46c-5903d7522006
@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com, says...
[...]

The article that Larry pointed you toward was about the construction of
wind generators with propeller diameters ranging from 10 feet upward. To
put a device that size on a normal size sail boat (after all motor boats
have a power source to drive generators) would take a fairly substantial
structure and considerable space which just isn't available on the
majority of the boats in common use and therefore the majority of the
market.

The other thing that most people who have installed conventual wind
generators point out is that outside the trade wind zones the generators
really don't contribute to the overall charging operation in any
significant manner.

Finally, modern solar panels are pretty efficient and for a reasonable
investment will provide the majority of the power one needs - in a area
where the sun shines, of course.

Given that you are in the U.K. (where the sun doesn't shine except on
the first Sunday of July :-) why not think about building one of the ten
foot, 12 volt, generators on the site Larry mentioned. The guys that run
the site have been building the things for some years now and have the
kinks pretty well worked out of the design. You could built a tripod
mast to mount the thing on and situate the mast somewhere forward where
you aren't going to walk into it and see how it works.

If you are handy with tools and can find an automotive scrap yard for
parts it shouldn't cost that much to built one. Or they have kits to
build from.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 26, 4:34*am, wrote:

So, I return to my original question - if this is such a good idea,
why doesn't everybody do it?

Forty five feet is a long boat regardless of its beam.............
Maybe i missed somthing but why not just use a generator and stuff it
someplace a long way from where you spend most your time?

As far as under 45' boats that sail the highseas I am dead set
AGAINST wind mills. Just too much **** above deck flopping around that
WILL be striped away with the eventual breaking wave.

Ive also sceen lots of trailors put on 55 gallon oil drums and called
a barge/vessel/boat. Id put a wind mill on that

Last, just because lots of people do or dont do somthing doesnt mean
they are smarter than a fifth grader. many times crowd choices are
nothing more than the result of very effective marketing stratigies.
I have not looked at a SAIL or SAILING magizine for years because of
the marketing driven articles n gear reviews/recomedations.

Heck, if your just goonna sit on a cannal get the CHEEPEST method of
making electricty ($/kw) and go with that. After all, seaworthy will
not be a consideration in your case.

*And, why are all commercial wind
turbines for boats the same size - around 1.2 metres diameter?

Good question, Idont know but my guess is because it makes the company
the most profit.
Bob

Thank you for your comments.

Peter