Default Thumbs Up & Down

On 2008-08-27 13:18:19 -0400, Wayne.B said:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:39:49 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

So, I could set it for "bridge" operation, toss it on the deck with the
antenna high to extend my range to -- how far? I seem to be getting
about a half mile, line of sight, at the marina with the internal
antenna.

Yes. Using a 9 db omni-directional antenna 20 ft off the water, I
have maintained solid connections at 3 to 5 miles.

Hmmm. The unit seems to have a 3db (or so) antenna. Where are the
antennas available? Or does it matter if most probably won't be good
for more than 1-2000 feet?

The POE injector inserts power into the ethernet cable to operate the
bridge. It consists of a small wall wart transformer going to an
even smaller box with ethernet in/out jacks.

So that looks like it comes with the EOC-3610s/8610/s series (mostly
saying that so I can fid it again.)

Looking at the quick-start and users guides, this isn't quite as simple
as setting up a Mac wireless network. ;-)

--
Jere Lull

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 02:30:41 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Hmmm. The unit seems to have a 3db (or so) antenna. Where are the
antennas available? Or does it matter if most probably won't be good
for more than 1-2000 feet?

A good antenna *is* important. Here is one similar to what I use:

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/OD2...i_Antenna.html

You will also need a short jumper cable with a Type "N" male connector
and a RPC-SMA male connector:

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/CA1..._12_Cable.html

The POE injector inserts power into the ethernet cable to operate the
bridge. It consists of a small wall wart transformer going to an
even smaller box with ethernet in/out jacks.

So that looks like it comes with the EOC-3610s/8610/s series (mostly
saying that so I can fid it again.)

Yes, the POE injector comes with the 3610

Looking at the quick-start and users guides, this isn't quite as simple
as setting up a Mac wireless network. ;-)

Unfortunately there is a bit of a learning curve. It's really not all
that difficult however if you know how to manually configure an
ethernet connection on your laptop.

I can talk you through configuring the 3610 but you are on your own
with the Apple laptop.

On 2008-08-28 00:59:57 -0400, Wayne.B said:

I can talk you through configuring the 3610 but you are on your own
with the Apple laptop.

I suspect that'll be the least of my worries. Looks like I can use my
home settings to FIOS to take the defaults. I used to do some network
stuff, build cables and such, but it's been a long time since I had to
actually specify things like b, g or n, addresses, modes and the like.

This is mostly play-time for me, but I'd rather waste my time off of the boat.

--
Jere Lull