Default Cod Almighty - August 22

In Cod We Trust,
Bob
They caught nearly all the cod in the North Sea. There are not enough
left to justify attempts to catch them. On the subject of cod, there
was the Danish fisherman who caught a blind cod. He felt sorry for it
and threw it back. Every day for a month he threw it back. Finally he
took it ashore to an aquarium.

Casady

I don't get it. Was that a joke?

The North Sea cod are gone and that is no joke. And the story about
the blind fish was told as truth.

Casady

The North seas stocks of cod are not in good condition but they are
far from "Gone". They are still be commercially overfished which is not
a good thing but they are not gone.
Gordon
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 25, 12:39*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:

Good. *Then I don't feel compelled to tell the story about the drunk
Polak who put a salted herring in his pocket.

--Vic

Its "Pole" or "Poliski" not polak u ignorant racist *******.

Bob

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:14:58 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On Aug 25, 12:39?pm, Vic Smith
wrote:

Good. ?Then I don't feel compelled to tell the story about the drunk
Polak who put a salted herring in his pocket.

--Vic

Its "Pole" or "Poliski" not polak u ignorant racist *******.

My Polka wife tells me you're wrong. But I speak Polish well enough
to already know that.
Anyway Miss Manners, ain't you PC. Go have a drink - and watch what
you put in your pocket.

--Vic

Default Codswollop!!!

I don't normally respond to Wilbur, but in this one case, as others
may have wondered, I will:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
Comments interspersed.

What's with this parenthetical crap talking down to people as if
they were totally ignorant of sailing terms. Did you learn it from
that other wannabe Zac?

Get a clue. There are few things more ludicrous than newbies trying
to educate others who are even more clueless.

I have several clues - and clews, for that matter. However, what you
see here is also from my log, which goes to many non-sailors, and even
many non-boaters.

I trust you'll indulge me the courtesy of allowing me not to have to
edit my logs for each and every place they appear :{))

We now return you to your regular programming...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Cod Almighty - August 22

We sailed off our mooring in Portland in the endings of a mild
Nor'wester on Wednesday morning at about 9AM. We'd timed our
departure to take advantage of the falling tide, and got a nice
lift as we exited the Portland approach lanes. The winds were
piping at 18-25 knots NW, with gusts to 30, so we put in a single
reef at the mooring, and sailed on the main only until the
expected dying wind.

Way undercanvassed for the mild winds. Totally unbalanced sailplan
for the conditions.

Flying Pig stood up and single-reef sailed along very comfortably
in moderate seas. snip

One would hope any sailboat would 'stand up' under a shortened main.
Duh!

That's very good, because even very experienced sailors sometimes
never shake their seasickness (Lin Pardey comes to mind; she's
regularly seasick, despite her world-girdling experience and
longevity at sea, along with several publications about heavy
weather); if she can get past that, she'll be far more effective
on watch...

People who are chronically seasick should find something else to do
other than boating.

snip

Following my repair of the rot in the Vee, the area of support of
the staysail reinforcing cable securing the cabin roof from
flexing, I also slacked the babystay (inner forestay for the
staysail) so that the mast wasn't deformed as it had been before,
and we had a marvelous cutter-rigged (genoa and inner foresail)
run in about 10 knots of apparent wind and brilliant sunshine.
All signs pointed to our having pretty well tweaked the standing
rigging (the stainless steel wires which keep the mast in place),
and the boat balanced marvelously.

snip

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:59:47 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

I don't normally respond to Wilbur, but in this one case, as others
may have wondered, I will:

///
What's with this parenthetical crap talking down to people

///

Hmmm...was this worth the trouble?
The subject comment represents what is called "projection"
in the trade.

Brian W