Default Hello from Portland Harbor

Just checking in; I'm anchored currently, the reasons thereto (get
warmed up, Wilbur, maybe bob and a few others) to follow in the final
post of the passage later today, in Portland Harbor.

Sailed in, turned upwind and up current, slowed to nought, dropped the
hook and the sail at the same time, and took my wife to bed.

Screw the rest of you, too :{))

For those not responding to my challenge, don't complain if I come too
close to you. For the others, we've already met Roger, and I expect
to be on his mooring tonight or early tomorrow; visitors are welcome.

The balance of the Portland itinerary remains to be set; there
currently isn't one...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Just checking in; I'm anchored currently, the reasons thereto (get warmed
up, Wilbur, maybe bob and a few others) to follow in the final post of the
passage later today, in Portland Harbor.

Sailed in, turned upwind and up current, slowed to nought, dropped the
hook and the sail at the same time, and took my wife to bed.

Screw the rest of you, too :{))

For those not responding to my challenge, don't complain if I come too
close to you. For the others, we've already met Roger, and I expect to be
on his mooring tonight or early tomorrow; visitors are welcome.

The balance of the Portland itinerary remains to be set; there currently
isn't one...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

I can't believe the famous Pig is nearby my boat.

How do ya like the weather? Just remember, it is Maine..

Roger's mooring .. ?? Right around the corner..

Now,, if the god's of sailing would stop with the rain, fog, .. etc... maybe
you can
enjoy some coastal sailing in Maine.

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:46:20 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

The balance of the Portland itinerary remains to be set; there
currently isn't one...

Portland has its attractions as Roger will no doubt point out, but the
serious cruising opportunities are further east in Casco Bay,
Penobscot Bay and Mt Desert Island.

Please have a professional look at that rigging, and think about
getting a tie rod(s) to hold the deck in place. Losing a mast is not
fun - don't ask me how I know that.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:52:21 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

Now,, if the god's of sailing would stop with the rain, fog, .. etc... maybe
you can
enjoy some coastal sailing in Maine.

Oh stop, fog *is* one of the attractions.

I kid you not.

Some of my most vivid memories of cruising Maine are suddenly being
enveloped by a fog bank, feeling your way along for a while, only to
have the mists partially lift to discover that there is a classic
wooden boat sailing near you among the rocky little islands and pine
trees. There's really nothing quite like it in my experience.

"Wayne.B" wrote

Oh stop, fog *is* one of the attractions.

Thanks for that. Now tell us something good about continuous driving rain
with imbedded thunderstorms to cheer us up.

(I agree with you about the fog though. This year however, it reminds me of
the old joke about the Titanic passenger. "I asked for ice but this is
ridiculous!")

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Thanks for that. Now tell us something good about continuous driving
rain with imbedded thunderstorms to cheer us up.

We can take showers as long as we like and STILL have the water tankage
full to the brim without a marina bill?....(c;

wrote:

Now,, if the god's of sailing would stop with the rain, fog, .. etc...
maybe
you can
enjoy some coastal sailing in Maine.

Oh stop, fog *is* one of the attractions.

I kid you not.

Some of my most vivid memories of cruising Maine are suddenly being
enveloped by a fog bank, feeling your way along for a while, only to
have the mists partially lift to discover that there is a classic
wooden boat sailing near you among the rocky little islands and pine
trees. There's really nothing quite like it in my experience.

This is typical out here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8IrVcX4El8

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Just checking in; I'm anchored currently, the reasons thereto (get
warmed up, Wilbur, maybe bob and a few others) to follow in the final
post of the passage later today, in Portland Harbor.

Sailed in, turned upwind and up current, slowed to nought, dropped the
hook and the sail at the same time, and took my wife to bed.

Screw the rest of you, too :{))

For those not responding to my challenge, don't complain if I come too
close to you. For the others, we've already met Roger, and I expect
to be on his mooring tonight or early tomorrow; visitors are welcome.

The balance of the Portland itinerary remains to be set; there
currently isn't one...

Unfortunately, I'm off (in the boat) for Rockland at first light
tomorrow for the Maine Boats & Harbors Show. where we have a booth --
otherwise I'd drive her into Portland to be part of the welcome.

Cheers,
Michael Porter

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

wrote:

Now,, if the god's of sailing would stop with the rain, fog, .. etc...
maybe
you can
enjoy some coastal sailing in Maine.

Oh stop, fog *is* one of the attractions.

I kid you not.

Some of my most vivid memories of cruising Maine are suddenly being
enveloped by a fog bank, feeling your way along for a while, only to
have the mists partially lift to discover that there is a classic
wooden boat sailing near you among the rocky little islands and pine
trees. There's really nothing quite like it in my experience.

Yo.. Wayne.. enveloped in a fog bank? Try being enveloped for two months,
the whole summer, by fog, rain, crap.. Nothing is lifting up here,, and the
classic
wooden boats? They are in the harbor, waiting for that mist which has been
here
since June 2 to clear.

The economy is in a shambles. The lobster boat guys are going broke, no
tourists to
buy the lobsters, and with the high fuel prices added on ..

Then just think about the marinas. First the motor boat crowd is parking
the boats, then
2 months of crap weather so even the sailors aren't going out.. the hotels
are not selling
out, the restaurants are empty, the roads are clear, ....

Yaa tell me all about the "really nothing like it" experience..

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:18:11 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

This is typical out here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8IrVcX4El8

Obviously taken from the Marin side where you can actually see the sun
and sky.