Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Ferro Cement boats

My wife & I have been talking about moving onto a boat & sailing away for a long
time -- the biggest stumbling block to buying a boat the size we'd need for
liveaboard is $ -- we'd have to sell our house 1st & then buy the boat.

however, we happened upon a FC boat that we can afford w/o selling the house.

I've spent about a month reading about FC boats and it seems that there is a
common thread:
If the boat was home built -- run away
if the boat was professionally built - there's a very good chance it's solid as
hell.
The only way to truely "check" the construction is to cut away the hull &
examine the steel beneath.

The hull was professionally built in Canada -- and then "owner finished" the
interior. The standing rigging is overkill (bigger than needed, which is fine
with me); the running rigging needs some tlc here and there.

So now I'm looking for people that have had experiences with FC boats (good or
bad) to get an idea if we want to make the leap. We would be taking the boat
on shake down cruises for the next year while still working & sell the house;
once done -- sail off. So anyone with off shore sailing experience in an FC
boat -- I'm very interested to hear from you.

Thanks
-josh

Ferro-Cement Iain General 4 January 20th 07 05:35 PM
Ferro Cement Boat Restoration Thomas D. Ireland General 18 August 3rd 05 06:47 AM
Ferro Cement Boat Restoration Thomas D. Ireland Tall Ships 2 August 1st 05 08:26 PM
FS: 33' ferro-cement sailboat $8000 in Texas Paul Guajardo Marketplace 0 July 27th 05 07:44 PM
ferro cement boats Caribmon Boat Building 0 July 6th 03 01:56 PM