Garland Gray II

Default Black plastic thimbles

I've not seen them in the West Marine stores I've been in, and have assumed
the other listings were of white thimbles since that's all I've seen, and
black was not mentioned. I'll check Hamilton tomorrow.
Thanks.
"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Garland,
I've seen them quite consistently at West Marine {all over}. I would try
them, first. Other places to 'look' are Jamestown Distributors {Rhode
Island}, Hamilton Marine {Searsport, Maine - for REAL, 'Workin' Stuff'},

and
Defender Industries {Conn}.

My only caveat is, I'm not sure about the 'larger' sizes - 1/2 in line and
up. I know I used white ones for my 3/8in and 1/2in mooring pennants - got
them at the Philly West Marine store.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Ha, I was a little slow to get that one!
I always used ss until I saw what it does to galvanized chain.
I had never seen a black plastic one until a few hours ago! A friend had
bought an anchor line on ebay, and I noticed it in his truck. Only id

was
Taiwan, but was a nice thimble w/ straps.

"Keith" wrote in message
Doing a lot of sewing?

Why not SS? I don't think I've ever seen a black plastic one, but it

would
be a good idea. Would be cheaper for the mfg's as well.

--

Keith
__
"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Are these available? It's easy to find white or translucent

thimbles,
but
uv
eats them up so badly.
TIA
Garland

Garland Gray II

Good point.
I may end up w/ss for this. I want to replace my lifelines with Amsteel.
"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I recollect learning that only cast thimbles or heavy galvanized thimbles

were
generally stiff enough not to deform when loaded to a nylon or dacron

rope's
full safe working load. Stainless ones were second place and plastic a

distant
third. Ask a competent rigger before using a plastic thimble in a line

that's
to carrry any significant load.

"Keith" wrote in message
Doing a lot of sewing?

Why not SS? I don't think I've ever seen a black plastic one, but it

would
be a good idea. Would be cheaper for the mfg's as well.

--

Keith
__
Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but
you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the
stairs.
"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Are these available? It's easy to find white or translucent

thimbles,
but
uv
eats them up so badly.
TIA
Garland

Jim Conlin

For the smaller sizes, i've seen cast thimbles which were solid and bored 3/8"
or so for a shackle pin. I think I got 'em from sailmakers.

See also http://www.multihullboatbuilder.com/...icshrouds.html

"Keith" wrote in message
Doing a lot of sewing?

Why not SS? I don't think I've ever seen a black plastic one, but it
would
be a good idea. Would be cheaper for the mfg's as well.

--

Keith
__
Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but
you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the
stairs.
"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Are these available? It's easy to find white or translucent

thimbles,
but
uv
eats them up so badly.
TIA
Garland

Gualtier Malde

Garland Gray II wrote:

Ha, I was a little slow to get that one!
I always used ss until I saw what it does to galvanized chain.
I had never seen a black plastic one until a few hours ago! A friend had
bought an anchor line on ebay, and I noticed it in his truck. Only id was
Taiwan, but was a nice thimble w/ straps.

For that reason, I use galvanized thimbles on anchor rode.

Steve

Seriously, what is wrong with a good quality galvinized thimble in you
anchor rode??

Admittedly there are some really carpy import galvinized but what I have
seen at WM were good hot dipped.. Should last as long as the galvinizing on
your chain..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions