Default the shop messed up. who should pay?

On 2008-07-04 13:26:21 -0400, Vic Smith
said:

I've had similar situations happen over the years with cars, but I think
the same principle applies. The yard should do the labor for free, but
the parts should probably be yours. If they are able to replace the new
parts with the old without degrading the over all condition, then I
would have them do that. You should pay for the new parts but not the
labor, since you were inconvenienced. I would take the attitude of
trying to work it out so no one feels screwed over. If they want your
business and your friends' business going forward, then they'll be
willing to work with you. Mistakes happen, and neither party should have
to pay through the nose.

I guess you're unaware of it, but your posts aren't wrapping lines.
Or should I say "line?"

?? My reader auto-wraps at the right margin, pretty much what I expect
these days.

Mine does also, which is why I didn't see it. But, some don't. Mia culpa for
not being sensitive to backward compatibility issues.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-07-04 13:26:21 -0400, Vic Smith said:

I guess you're unaware of it, but your posts aren't wrapping lines.
Or should I say "line?"

?? My reader auto-wraps at the right margin, pretty much what I expect
these days.

Since you mentioned it, I quickly found a word wrap option to check in
the message drop down of my reader, Agent.
I've only been using it about 15 years, so I guess I'm slow on
navigating the learning curve.
Anyway, I hardly ever see an unwrapped post.
Guess I won't see any now.

--Vic

Dave,

Not likely as to any obligation to deliver a working boat.

Perhaps, but he needs to read his contract. It should contain some sort
of warranty info.

Dave M.

I have worked with these guys for many years and we do not have a
written contract. they hauled the boat and said they would look at it.
2 weeks later they said needs new minifolds and risers. I said OK.
they did that and tested it again and the engine filled with water
again. it was not the risers and manifolds. Since then they have
eliminated the exhaust intake as well. at this point they are not sure
what the problem is and are recomending a new engine. If I decide that
I don't want a new engine (let's say the boat is not worth the
investment) how much should I owe to the boat yard and what does one
do with a boat with an engine in pieces?

thanks
PS jonesing for a boat ride, I took my digny out this morning-very nice

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:41:02 -0700 (PDT), richard
wrote:

at this point they are not sure
what the problem is and are recomending a new engine.

A new engine is not usually cost effective on an older boat but a
rebuilt short block is probably within reach - maybe $5K or so with
installation.

It's possible that your heads are rusted out however and may need to
be replaced. That would dictate a rebuilt long block which will cost
somewhat more.

So I went to the new Bass Pro Shop... Short Wave Sportfishing General 13 December 31st 07 07:01 PM
Scout messed up! Frank Boettcher ASA 3 October 17th 06 09:17 AM
Messed Missages? Harry Krause General 98 October 4th 04 11:30 AM
E Machine Shop Marc ASA 21 August 29th 04 06:40 PM