Default Avoiding Hazards At Sea

Sad and pathetic that a 16 YO boy can intimidate the hell out of Neal
Warren (AKA Wilbur, Greg Hall, ect) the pretend sailor.

I haven't seen Neal so upset since Ellen was in the news.

Can you imagine having the need to dis a 16 year old young man?
Just how pathetic is that?

Neal will never run out of cook stove fuel.
Neal will never run aground
Neal will never lose a boat
Neal will never rip a sail
Neal will never bend a prop
Neal will never need a tow
Neal will never have a crew member injured
Neal will never capsize a boat
Neal will never be knocked down
Neal will never hole his hull
Neal will never lose a race

Stark truth is Neal will avoid it by sailing no where, doing nothing,
and being nothing.

Neal is a man of words, he has a Phd in it. He is more suited at
becoming an expert by reading what experts say, then cloning it in a
puppet formin a sad attempt to impress.

Neal is a pessimist living on a meger pension. Wilbur spends countless
hours pretending on the internet, it is his forte.

Neal will never discover the secret of the sea, or sail to an
uncharted island or inspire a child to yearn for a life at sea.

I would judge great sailors and Captains of the sea not so much by
where they stand, as in what direction they are sailing. To reach any
port worth being real sailors and skippers must sail with the wind and
sometimes against it. But they must sail, not drift, stayed tied to
the dock, nor moored on chicken bone reef. like Neal.

Time at sea make wise sailors. Zac is sailing off into the sunset
over and over and over.
Neal is sailing a keyboard.

While people like Neal complain about the wind, Zac will adjust his
sails.
Neal thinks sailing is an adventure of the mind, while people like
Zac, Skip, Joe, Ellen, and many of the real regulars here know it is
an adventure of the soul.

People like Zac will make port from adventures, and perils, and
discoveries with new experiences and character. While people like
Nealbur remain stagnant and bitter, and old.

I pity the fool

Fred

Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 2, 7:27*pm, wrote:

*Time at sea make wise sailors.

No it doesnt. Experince does not create nor equal wisdom. Most times a
person is only destined to simply repeat the same mediocre choices as
before. Just because a person has worked 12 years running a WalMart
cash register doesn’t make them polite, any good at operating a cash
register, or a candidate for a managerial spot. And do goes the
ignorant coonass in the GOM.... experinced seaman or simply a one
trick luck idiot who can not cope outside a narrow window of
opperation?

Experience does not create ability or judgment. Experiences allows the
opportunity for learning.
There are two phrases that scream inept: 1) “…reportedly the victim
had a life time of boating experience…” and 2) “…she followed her life
long dream to bla bla….” Both spell amateur destined for destruction.

Bob

People like Zac will make port from adventures, and perils, and
discoveries with new experiences and character.

Fred

Now, that is just crap. It is the kind of binary, black and white, either
or, thinking that as at the heart of the intellectual rot that is destroying
this culture.

Try this,

Time at sea makes wiser and more experience sailors. Formal training and
other experience also do.

Some sailors get wiser and are better at turning their experience into sound
judgement than others. (Every standard deviation bell curve has two ends.)

No sailor will ever be wise and experienced enough for some of the the
conditions that may be encountered at sea.

--
Roger Long

Close, but not close enough.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Now, that is just crap. It is the kind of binary, black and white, either
or, thinking that as at the heart of the intellectual rot that is
destroying this culture.

The culture is founded on good vs evil, that evil and good are absolute,
certain and capable of being defined and understood. It is the melding of
those two that are destroying the culture. When good compromises with evil
is the end result good or just a little less evil?

Try this,

Time at sea makes wiser and more experience sailors. Formal training and
other experience also do.

Only wiser and more experienced sailors spend more time at sea. The
incompetent are weeded out by nature.

Some sailors get wiser and are better at turning their experience into
sound judgement than others. (Every standard deviation bell curve has
two ends.)

Aaahahahahahahahaaaa!!!! Right, the sea and sailors have powers beyond
anyone else. The activity is the extension of the man. Circumstance does not
make the man, it reveals him. A good number of sailors are just like those
Harley-Davidson people. They go out and buy an image and play the role.

No sailor will ever be wise and experienced enough for some of the the
conditions that may be encountered at sea.

If they are that wise, they would stay ashore and avoid the situation beyond
their control.

Personal experience only lasts a lifetime, wisdom is built upon the
experiences of others as well and when passed on lasts for eternity. Wisdom
gives the power to avoid mistakes and move ahead, experience is what is
learned from mistakes and not moving ahead.

Experience is a poor substitute for competence.

Wilbur Hubbard has all three - experience, competence and an overdose of
wisdom!

On Jul 3, 8:51*am, "Kapt Krunch" AKA Neal
wrote:

If they are that wise, they would stay ashore and avoid the situation beyond
their control.

That's how Neal avoids any hazards at sea.

Fred

wrote in message
Sad and pathetic that a 16 YO boy can intimidate the hell out of Neal
Warren (AKA Wilbur, Greg Hall, ect) the pretend sailor.

Sad that a little ole Gulf of Mexico cold front can intimidate the hell out
of the hapless skipper of the erstwhile "Red Cloud" and her lubberly crew.

I haven't seen Neal so upset since Ellen was in the news.

Ellen who? Notice, just like the Good Captain always said - she's just a
flash in the pan. A gimmick for advertisers to latch onto for added
publicity of, "She's as good as any man." Yah, right. That is a direct
insult to any man.

Can you imagine having the need to dis a 16 year old young man?
Just how pathetic is that?

If stating the truth is pathetic, no matter the age of the publicity hound,
then you have, indeed, fallen in with the liberal thinking crowd that is
eager to whitewash every idiotic thing a person might do and claim it is
normal to be inept.

Neal will never run out of cook stove fuel.
Neal will never run aground
Neal will never lose a boat
Neal will never rip a sail
Neal will never bend a prop
Neal will never need a tow
Neal will never have a crew member injured
Neal will never capsize a boat
Neal will never be knocked down
Neal will never hole his hull
Neal will never lose a race

You are absolutely correct with respect to all of the above except the last.
Capt. Neal doesn't race because racing is not seamanlike. The World Famous
Mariner has sail more miles aboard his blue water yacht and is still doing
so while poor, boatless and witless Joe is now an official landlubber.
Actually this is a good thing as the sea is no place for pretenders. It
weeds them out quickly.

Stark truth is Neal will avoid it by sailing no where, doing nothing,
and being nothing.

In your dreams, Mr. Cold Front Cadette!

Neal is a man of words, he has a Phd in it. He is more suited at
becoming an expert by reading what experts say, then cloning it in a
puppet formin a sad attempt to impress.

Capt. Neal wrote his famous Novice sailing lessons based upon his massive
personal experience and backed by intelligent thinking.

Neal is a pessimist living on a meger pension. Wilbur spends countless
hours pretending on the internet, it is his forte.

I'd say he is a realist. He understands better than most men the role a man
is supposed to assume in this world. A man should lead, not tuck tail and
run. A man must not confuse wishful thinking with reality. A man is a pillar
of strength - not a linguine-spined yell for help burder on others. A man
does not brag about accomplishments prior to the fact. A man does not brag
about accomplishments after the fact because he does not accomplish simply
to impress. He accomplishes because it is in a man's nature to accomplish.
It doesn't matter to a man if a single other person takes note of the
accomplishment. In other words, a man is self-assured, self-reliant,
self-confident and self-composed, self-contained, self-starting and
self-made.

A sailor man has standards of conduct one step above that listed above. He
gives and takes no quarter either from the elements or from Neptune's wrath.
He certainly doesn't abandon his ship because the winds got up to 45 knots
with seas of maybe 20 feet. Such is the work of a sissy.

Neal will never discover the secret of the sea, or sail to an
uncharted island or inspire a child to yearn for a life at sea.

Capt. Neal's been there, done that. The Good Captain has inspired a whole
generation. Probably even Zac was inspired by the powerful diatribes
produced by the World Famous Mariner.

I would judge great sailors and Captains of the sea not so much by
where they stand, as in what direction they are sailing. To reach any
port worth being real sailors and skippers must sail with the wind and
sometimes against it. But they must sail, not drift, stayed tied to
the dock, nor moored on chicken bone reef. like Neal.

Even if the above were true consider the fact that Capt. Neal still has a
boat to sail and to live in. Do you?

I pity the fool

Me, too! I pity any fool who scuttles his boat in a cold front simply
because weak members of his lubberly crew are yelling "Uncle" and he is
frightened. Said fool needs to get a grip and learn how to command - how to
become a man. How to run a ship. How to recognize failure in the face of
slightly above average adversity. How to say, "I'm sorry, I blew it!"

Wilbur Hubbard

On Jul 3, 10:08*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Keep Honking your big rubber ball Dullbur.

I'm loading up my boat for a weekend of cruising with friends.

I'm sure you will be here when I get back next week.

Have a great time pretending your a sailor!

TGIF

Fred

In article ,
Roger Long wrote:
Now, that is just crap. It is the kind of binary, black and white, either
or, thinking that as at the heart of the intellectual rot that is destroying
this culture.

Try this,

Time at sea makes wiser and more experience sailors. Formal training and
other experience also do.

Exactly. That's one of the reasons why the CG requires "sea time" in order to qualify for a license. Perhaps the time makes them wiser. You could modify the statement to read that sea time makes for more wise decisions based on real-world experience.

Some sailors get wiser and are better at turning their experience into sound
judgement than others. (Every standard deviation bell curve has two ends.)

No sailor will ever be wise and experienced enough for some of the the
conditions that may be encountered at sea.

True, but they'll make better decisions leading up to those conditions.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 3, 1:38*am, "Roger Long" wrote:

Now, that is just crap.

Hum, a little sensitive about this topic Roger?

*It is the kind of binary, black and white, either
or, thinking that as at the heart of the intellectual rot that is destroying
this culture.

I think we may have a misunderstanding. I will develop my idea more.

Try this,
Time at sea makes wiser and more experience sailors.

there is no causal releationship between doing a task and becoming
more skilled. No mater how many times I flapp my arns I aint gonna be
able to fly.

*Formal training and
other experience also do.

Here Ill say that training alone will not cause a person to become
more skilled. This is comming from a person who teahces a course
titled: BA 400 Employee Training & Deveolopment

Some sailors get wiser and are better at turning their experience into sound
judgement than others. *

No here we agree.

(Every standard deviation bell curve has two ends.)

ya but.... ftry a by-modal distribution where the wings are lager
than the first SD. In laymans terms the wing nuts out number the
middle.

No sailor will ever be wise and experienced enough for some of the the
conditions that may be encountered at sea.

Agreed. We can only strive to be better skilled unfortunatly just
doing somthing over and over and over (sea time) does not create smart
skilld operators. The fist time I worked in the GOM I was appauled at
the lubberly skill level of the OSV crews. Huge experince (sea time)
but little skill.

So the real question is: What makes a skilled mariner? How do yo get
to be good at sailing? How does LEARNING occure.

Roger Long

Bob

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:08:19 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

A sailor man has standards of conduct one step above that listed above. He
gives and takes no quarter either from the elements or from Neptune's wrath.
He certainly doesn't abandon his ship because the winds got up to 45 knots
with seas of maybe 20 feet. Such is the work of a sissy.

Wilbur Hubbard

Written by an individual who, it is reputed, has never sailed at all.

Balderdash, in other words.

A fool who knows his foolishness is wise
at least to that extent, but a fool who
thinks himself wise is a fool indeed.

Unseen Hazards aaronb UK Paddle 0 January 31st 08 01:19 PM
Handy site for locating, contributing boat ramps / hazards ceh General 4 January 8th 08 02:36 AM
site for locating boat ramps / boating hazards ceh Cruising 0 December 24th 07 02:21 PM
Hazards of Gasoline with Ethanol frank1492 General 9 July 27th 06 02:11 PM
Buccaneer 18 - any tips,hazards, gen'l info????? MonteP General 1 December 19th 03 05:55 PM