BoatBanter.com

-   -   push vs pull vis a vis rudders (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9553-push-vs-pull-vis-vis-rudders.html)

Rodney Myrvaagnes March 31st 04 07:00 PM

push vs pull vis a vis rudders

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:20:59 +0100, "JimB"
wrote:

[snip]
I'm trying to square Jax's flat 'nada' with rudder kick I've
observed, and an impression that the rudder direction affects
boat yaw when in reverse and not moving,

[snip]

I have observed the rudder kick in reverse, but only with the boat in
motion. Does yours do this when tied to the dock?

I expect to be able to try this in the next week or so, but because
of the distance from prop to rudder, my reslult won't be directly
applicable.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light

JAXAshby March 31st 04 08:54 PM

push vs pull vis a vis rudders

jeffies, you know more about fluid flow than he does, and you are weak at it.

That's a blatant lie, jaxie, you should be ashamed of yourself. Its one
thing
to be stupid, that is your right, one which you exercise quite frequently.
But
to lie so blatantly after you libel someone in unconscionable. It was clear
that the last thing you wanted was a professor of mechanical engineering
criticizing you logic, so you chased him away.

Your behavior was tantamount to admitting that you really don't know what
you're
talking and were terrified of a rational discussion.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Jim, I limited time for frauds. in this case rowell lied straight out to

us,
saying that professionally he was an expert in fluid flow. Yet, even his

own
website drumming up business for his consulting services fails to mention

fluid
flow experience, let alone expertise.

He choice of words right from the get go indicated his fraudulant
underpinnings. In the end you reduced himself to arguing that friction in

the
rudder bearings were the reason reverse flow showed no effects on lateral
movement of the rudder.

Referring to Derek Rowell:

candidly, when I first saw his post and noted his email
address, I figured some
yo-yo hijacked his address. He claimed professional expertise
in fluid flow,
but his website make no mention of such, though it does promote
his "expertise"
in control systems for things such as MRI's.

It is sad, though, that you chose to libel him rather than argue
the case. Weakens your credibility.

JimB

JAXAshby March 31st 04 08:56 PM

push vs pull vis a vis rudders

I have observed the rudder kick in reverse
, but only with the boat in
motion.

if the boat is moving through the water, the rudder can control its direction.

Steven Shelikoff April 1st 04 01:50 AM

push vs pull vis a vis rudders

On 31 Mar 2004 16:22:57 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

yeah, sure. rudder right, tranny forward, throttle forward and what happens
....???

Most times you go right. Sometimes you go left. If you've never gone
left when doing the above, you need some more experience.

sherr tells us the more experience he has the more he don't know which way his
boat is gonna go thusly:

Joxie, say it ain't so! With all your claimed sea experience you've
never had the boat turn in a different direction than where you had the
rudder pointed? Oh, that's right. You're just a hired hand with no
helm experience. If you had any time at the helm in poor conditions
you'd know just how foolish you're looking right about now.

Steve

JAXAshby April 1st 04 04:15 AM

push vs pull vis a vis rudders

schlackoff, when the wind and/or current was pushing me one way or the other I
knew it long before I put the boat in forward or reverse.

Maybe you didn't, but I did.

JimB April 1st 04 11:10 AM

JAXAshby wrote in message
Jim, I limited time for frauds. in this case rowell lied

straight out to us,
saying that professionally he was an expert in fluid flow.

Expert is a relative term. Compared to the majority of this news
group, he is a profesional expert in fluid flow. Different types
of fluid flow compared to those you were thinking of, maybe. I
speculate; hydraulics perhaps? A mere tool to him?

Yet, even his own
website drumming up business for his consulting services fails

to mention fluid
flow experience, let alone expertise.

He choice of words right from the get go indicated his

fraudulant
underpinnings.

Tut tut, Jax. Never use emotive adjectives if you're trying to
make a point among thoughtful people. As I said, it reduces your
credibility. Just let the facts speak for themselves.

JimB

JimB April 1st 04 11:24 AM

wrote:

[snip]
I'm trying to square Jax's flat 'nada' with rudder kick I've
observed, and an impression that the rudder direction affects
boat yaw when in reverse and not moving,

[snip]

I have observed the rudder kick in reverse, but only with the

boat in
motion. Does yours do this when tied to the dock?

It did in two previous vessels I've skippered, both of which had
big props a small distance from big rudders. Both also had
tillers, so force feedback was not hidden by gearing. It wasn't
big, but was apparent.

JimB