Default Any Automac owners out there??

reply to yamaha28 at shaw.ca

Hi,
I live in Victoria Canada and recently installed an Automac on my
boat. The instructions leave something to be
desired but I currently have the automac set to cut out at 15.5 volts
and have a charge rate of about 10 amps once
the cut out activates. I am using a 55 amp alternator on 2 X 24 size
trojans.

If anyone has some experience with Automacs and can forward some
information on how you have it set up and use it,
it would be much appreciated. I can see where one can fry things
easily if not careful.
Thanks for any help. cheers John

yamaha28 Port Sidney Marina Sidney Canada

Steve

I have an AutoMac-II, but haven't hooked it up yet since the OEM altermator
is only 30 amp. I in the process of fitting a 100 amp. alternator.

I'm not sure of what you have for instruction. I found what was included
with mine to be very informative..

I have the manual for mine on my web site and your welcome to look it over
and download if you think it would help.

http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/private/manuals/

The AutoMac-II is more complicated than the original AutoMac, but the
principles should be the same.

Another good source of information is the 12 Volt Doctor, by the same fellow
who designed the AutoMac. He has a chapter on the theory and how to build
your own.. ( built one for my last boat). Additional there is the 12 Volt
Doctors Altenator Handbook.. This is a very good, gotta have book for a
boat. It tells you how to make temp. (get home) repairs along with details
on just about every type of alternator made.
http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/private/books/

(note: I have noted problems opening some of these .pdf files online. If you
have the same problem let me know and I will put them in a zip file for
download.)

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/private/books/

(note: I have noted problems opening some of these .pdf files online. If

you

I couldn't figure out what is wrong with these .pdf so I uploaded a .zip
file for each..

Steve

Gould 0738

I have an AutoMac-II, but haven't hooked it up yet since the OEM altermator
is only 30 amp. I in the process of fitting a 100 amp. alternator.

((You've probably already considered this, but a lot of engines that came with
a 30-amp alternator can't be properly upgraded to a 100-amp. The limiting
factor in those cases is the size of the drive belt as well as the number of
tasks the belt is assigned to do.))
Steve

Yes, that is a factor. My little 25 hp diesel has only the alternator on the
single Vee belt. The water pumps are direct driven on the rear of the engine
(I think off the timing gear or cam shaft end). However, as part of this
upgrade I am adding a double belt and a belt drive (clutched) emergency
bilge pump..

(it's sure a shame to complicate such a simple engine)

Thanks for the comment.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Maxum Owners Club OSU General 0 July 17th 04 03:45 AM
I took the new owners of my boat on a cruise today and said goodbye to her jim-- General 2 May 8th 04 01:27 PM
Carolina Skiff owners group RG General 0 December 17th 03 12:47 PM
Fischer Panda Owner's Forum Geoffrey W. Schultz General 1 October 8th 03 01:31 AM
Fischer Panda Owner's Forum Geoffrey W. Schultz Cruising 20 October 8th 03 01:31 AM