Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
otnmbrd

Default Thrust vectoring

For years, on occasion, I've have been involved with teaching someone
boat handling, using single and/or twin screw inboards.
Naturally, (especially on twin screw+) the issue of rudder use arises (
from here we will consider this a twin screw+ discussion).
So that everyone knows, I am a STRONG proponent of rudder use, but I
understand many of the arguments against (G just don't agree with all
of them or feel the argument doesn't really address the issue).
In all of my discussions, I have had a problem with the term "steering",
as in "the boats moving too slow to steer with rudders", or "rudders are
not effective at these speeds".
At any rate, I knew I was never able to explain my point clearly and
concisely.
Recently, for some unknown reason, I remembered a TV show on jet
fighters which discussed (I believe) thrust vectoring, and it dawned on
me that this may be just the term to describe what I am trying to get
across to those I am teaching.
With this in mind, for those with twin screw boats, if I told you that
rudders were important tools of boat handling, but not to be considered
for steering, rather for "thrust vectoring", when maneuvering around a
dock, etc., when kicking an engine ahead, both positive and negative
....... would you understand what I was saying?

otn

High Thrust vs. Low for Kicker Sylvester Sullivan Boat Building 3 May 31st 04 04:30 PM
Outboard thrust bearing for sailboat. john m. Boat Building 16 March 12th 04 04:54 AM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM
Horsepower vs thrust Vito Cruising 3 September 29th 03 06:10 PM
Electric Propulsion Paul Squire Boat Building 19 September 18th 03 10:43 PM