BoatBanter.com

-   -   Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/95334-batteries-whats-best-cheapest-long-term-cruising-these-days.html)

[email protected] June 16th 08 05:54 PM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising thesedays

On Jun 16, 12:58 am, Salomon Fringe wrote:
Well the author of the Victron article really did a good job and I have
used his info extensively but I did realize that Victron sells gel and
AGM but nothing else in terms of batteries so I assumed a slight nudge
towards their product line in the numbers. ...

Now wait. You're accusing the guy of lying to sell overpriced
batteries that will fail if they ever get used and you're saying
you've used his "info" extensively? Is this wise?

Also his pricing info in the
comparison was way off from what I found, e.g. full traction was just
50% of the price he stated.

Pricing changes all the time. Still, I think he was testing 24v full
traction batteries which might well explain the difference.

... in real life, a flooded cell will hugely outperform the AGM
for cycling use because you can equalize a flooded cell to refresh weak
cells, because you cannot monitor the temperature of each battery (let
alone every cell) while charging which means guaranteed overcharging of
some batteries/cells - destroying your typical AGM cell. Of course it is
cheaper, too.

Just for the record, you can equalize AGMs periodically without
destroying them. The manufacturers even recommend it. I use a
temperature compensated charging system with my AGMs. I don't
understand what you're saying about not being able to monitor the
temp. Your theory about cycling is interesting and testable but it
goes against the published data. Given that I think the burden of
proof lies with you. Go do some tests that suggest that the
datasheets and experts are wrong and you'll garner a lot of
attention.

I would like to know from people who have REALLY deepcycled their AGM's
500 times (anybody counting?) and are still using them. If these exist I
believe that you will find they paid as much for their AGMS as they
would have for equivalent capacity traction - which would last at least
twice as long.

I presume what you're saying here is that my experience of REALLY
sailing three times around the Pacific and REALLY living on my boat
full time and REALLY charging my batteries using my engines is REALLY
not valid because you REALLY don't want to hear it? I'm not claiming
to be a representative sample but my experience suggests to me that
some of your concerns about AGMs are overstated. I cruise extensively
and keep in touch with many who do the same and I haven't heard any
negative feedback about AGMs. Again, that's not a random sampling,
but still, here we are in a widely read newsgroup discussing AGMs.
Where are the voices saying "damn, I put one of those in and smoked it
in a week"? Where are the 500 e-mailers who wrote into the Dutch
magazine to complain about AGMs?

I think Roger is right. The discussion has wandered off a bit. I'm
not trying to get into a ****ing match. I don't sell batteries. When
I bought my AGMs it wasn't a slam-dunk, easy decision. I can
understand why lots of folks choose differently. I've been very happy
with the way my AGMs have worked, but performance was not the only
criteria in my decision. As I type this at my nav station, I have two
8D AGMs just a foot or so away from my toes. Safety and aesthetics
have some value for me, too. AGMs are much more shock resistant than
flooded or gel batteries and that makes them less prone to internal
plate failures and shorts. Reliability is important, too. And so it
goes. In different circumstances I can easily see myself doing things
differently. There's lots of room for discussion of the pros and cons
of various systems. My only serious beef with the discussion so far
is with some of the arguments and assertions in your first link which
are, to be kind, bogus.

--Tom.

Richard Casady June 16th 08 06:08 PM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:37:18 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

He took the battery out to replace it and lifted it up on deck. He then
went up, leaned over to pick it up, BOOM!

There are those fuddy duddies who recommend that you wear goggles when
fooling with batteries.

Casady

Capt. JG June 16th 08 07:30 PM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote

What were the circumstances of your friends accident ?

--
Roger Long

My dad's best friend died by car battery explosion... dad watched it
happen... you don't want to go there.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B June 16th 08 10:04 PM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:11:06 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

You should also learn that you shouldn't deep cycle any batteries. I try
not to have mine drop below 12.3V and typically keep them at 12.5V and
above.

They should last just about forever with that kind of tender loving
care. We routinely cycle our inverter bank of 4 golf cart batts down
to 11.8 or 11.9, sometimes even lower. At 11.6 they are at about 50%
and I try to never go lower than that.

Geoff Schultz June 17th 08 02:24 AM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

You should also learn that you shouldn't deep cycle any batteries. I
try not to have mine drop below 12.3V and typically keep them at 12.5V
and above.

They should last just about forever with that kind of tender loving
care. We routinely cycle our inverter bank of 4 golf cart batts down
to 11.8 or 11.9, sometimes even lower. At 11.6 they are at about 50%
and I try to never go lower than that.

11.6V is about 20% and 11.8V is around 35%. Anything below 12.06V (without
a load), which is 50% will kill them. See
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Jere Lull June 17th 08 03:49 AM

On 2008-06-16 10:59:59 -0400, Salomon Fringe said:

Why is draining batteries empty with a headlamp and then leaving them
like that for a month more competent than charging an AGM at 15V?

Well, for one thing, it's more POSSIBLE. My chargers won't deliver 14
for very long. My solar cell will, but it delivers about an amp at
best, so isn't going to cook anything.

Anyone with a system, of any sort, that can deliver 15V at significant
amperage will also have a charge controller.

--
Jere Lull

Geoff Schultz June 17th 08 11:53 AM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

wrote in :

Wayne.B wrote in

wrote:

You should also learn that you shouldn't deep cycle any batteries.
I try not to have mine drop below 12.3V and typically keep them at
12.5V and above.

They should last just about forever with that kind of tender loving
care. We routinely cycle our inverter bank of 4 golf cart batts
down to 11.8 or 11.9, sometimes even lower. At 11.6 they are at
about 50% and I try to never go lower than that.

11.6V is about 20% and 11.8V is around 35%. Anything below 12.06V
(without a load), which is 50% will kill them. See
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Nope. 50% is a more or less random number picked for convenience as
much as anything. The deeper you cycle, the shorter the lifespan, but
there is no magic that happens at 50%. A battery that never drops
below 80% will last twice as long as one that is cycled to 50%. Yes,
cycling the battery lower than 50% will make it's life shorter than
50%, but it won't "kill them". A battery that is never dropped below
90% charge will last a REALLY long time compared to one that is cycled
to 50%. What you have to do is balance cost, weight, complexity, etc.
If you are willing to carry more batteries, your batteries can live
longer. AGM's can be cycled deeper than flooded batteries for a given
lifespan. 50% cycling will "kill" a flooded battery before an AGM.

It's true that going below 50% won't immediately kill them. But over
time...I just go by the rule at anything over 50% is bad for them,
especially if done on a regular basis. As has been discussed here,
batteries cost too much not to be well taken care of.

Considering how many systems rely on power, I consider batteries to be one
of the most important components on the boat. As a result I baby mine.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

[email protected] June 17th 08 03:49 PM

Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising thesedays

On Jun 17, 12:02 am, Salomon Fringe wrote:
... Everybody I have spoken to has different (sometimes radically different)
AGM/gel experiences than yours, so I figure there must be something special
in your situation that makes these batteries really shine. I would like to
know what it is.

I wish you wouldn't lump AGMs and gels together. I've heard some
horror stories about gels and am still waiting to hear any about
AGMs. They are very different things.

My house bank is 2 Lifeline 8DL's that live in a well vented
compartment in the living area of the boat. For charging I have two
105 amp alternators and four 85 watt solar panels and a 25 amp, three
stage plug in battery charger set to flooded battery mode. I use an
Ample Power Energy Monitor/Controller. The solar is set to cut off at
13.5 volts. Normally the batteries simply live on the solar and every
once in a while when the voltage gets low (3-5 days typically in port
or daily on passage) I charge them up until their acceptance rate is
~1 amp when using the charger and ~13 amps when using the
alternators. They also get charged when we motor for an extended
period. That's it.

I have a 24v setup and when I listened around and did the math two years
ago, I settled for Hawker full traction at half the price mentioned in the
Victron article. My second choice would have been semi traction based on
price and power. ...

Cool. How's it been working for you? What's your set-up and what
kind of service have you put them to?

--Tom.

Salomon Fringe June 17th 08 11:07 PM

wrote:

[...]

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Do notice that may not be
cycling your batteries very heavily. Also, your energy budget seems
quite low! How do you live aboard? Washer? Microwave? TV? Computer(s),
refrigerator/freezer?

I have a 24v setup and when I listened around and did the math two years
ago, I settled for Hawker full traction at half the price mentioned in the
Victron article. My second choice would have been semi traction based on
price and power. ...

Cool. How's it been working for you? What's your set-up and what
kind of service have you put them to?

--Tom.

I have 12x2v Hawker perfectplus traction batteries with one 100A bulk
charger, a 35A 3stage Victron 1500w inverter/charger and a Victron
Multiplus 24/3000w/70 4-stage charger and inverter. The batteries are in
a big zinc-lined steel battery case in the engine room with vent to the
outside. Additionally I have 6 semi-traction bats of 230Ah with their
own two chargers, I can switch from the tractions to this bank if
necessary but normally I use them just for lights and for the diesel
central heating (pump, burner) in winter (really :-) and yes I live
aboard) I charge them using a generator or shore current, rarely with
two 100A alternators (one per bank) on the main engine (with 3-stage
chargers),I really have to be moving a lot for that. About 60%/35%/5%.
As for the semi-tractions (which were more heavily used before I got the
traction batteries), they have performed well so far but at their age
(5yrs now) there's nothing special about it yet. Very little maintenance
actually, although I do check them. And with 2yrs on them I guess I
can't say a thing about the traction batteries yet except that they are
doing their job. Definitely more water use than the semis, but distilled
water is cheap and it takes about 5 minutes to check and add some once
per two-three weeks. Equalize them at 32 volt about once a month.

[email protected] June 18th 08 01:25 AM

On Jun 17, 3:07*pm, Salomon Fringe wrote:
I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Do notice that may not be
cycling your batteries very heavily. Also, your energy budget seems
quite low! How do you live aboard? Washer? Microwave? TV? Computer(s),
refrigerator/freezer?

I wish I could answer the cycling question better. My tactic is to get
a charger of some sort on the batteries when the voltage starts
dropping below ~11.9v when hit with a load. That load is typically ~8
amps when the fridge and freezer compressors pop on. I'm not sure how
much DOD that represents. At sea with the autopilot, lights,
computer, SSB, etc and the solar panels usually shaded, they do get a
deeply cycled for sure.

As for loads, well, I think my boat is pretty systems heavy but we
stop short of the washer/dryer and microwave. We do have two
computers a 12v refrigerator and a 12v freezer each w/their own
compressor, an electric auto-pilot, SSB, VHF, RADAR, GPSs, 1500 watt
inverter, instruments, a diesel heater (seldom used), an electric
windlass and lights (and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting).
We live on board full time and cruise extensively. Our boat is a 42'
catamaran.

Your set-up is in a whole other league, though. I'm kind of in awe.
I can see with a bank that size that cost must be a much more serious
factor. How do you like 24 volts?

-- Tom.