Lloyd Sumpter

Default Scaping the barneys underwater

Hi,

I was Quite Impressed with how good my hull looked after 2 yrs without
new bottom paint (I used Interlux - not sure the "model"). I was even more
impressed by what a difference a simple wash-down made (I had the boat out
of the water in Jan to replace the engine - too cold and wet for bottom-
paint!)

So, I'm planning to haul her out in April and paint, then leave her in
for 2 years. Now, the question: what's the Best Way to scrape the hull
when she's in the water? I've tried snorkelling under, running lines,
dinghy with a long pole...every time, Newton gets his way and I end up
pushing myself away more than scrubbing. Any thoughts?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Gould 0738

He had one of those floating
hookah's for air.

Air?

What a waste. :-)
Steve

I sure wish I could use divers at my marina.. The don't allow diving because
of the 'supposed' damage to the oyster beds we are moored next to.

I find that hard to believe because of the several knot current running must
of the time.

However, the Fisheries Agent and his crew are there several times a week,
taking water samples. Mainly, he is monitoring the desolve oxygen since the
Hood Canal is reported to be turning into a 'dead sea' due to the low
levels.

As much as I would like to have my boat cleaned in the water, I'm willing to
do it else where rather than contribute to a pollution problem..

When I had my last boat in San Diego, I used an ablative vinyl paint by
International. It was a commercial type and very tough.. My routine was not
to touch it for the first year, then diver scrub the slim off and check the
zincs. Then at year two, another scrub and depending on the reports, I might
have the diver do it every 6 months. With this routine I could get at least
3 years of service. Number of diver cleanings were usually about 3 at $50
for a 28ft waterline.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions