Default Clutch Control Problem

My 1978 San Juan 28 has a Yanmar 15hp diesel and a Morse control - a
single throttle lever for forward and aft, and a push in-pull out
button for the clutch - you push it in to engage, out for neutral.

I'm having trouble finding the neutral spot when I need to disengage
the clutch. The throttle control is very notchy around the neutral
area. I find myself fiddling with the controls when I'm 20 feet from
the dock and wanting to drift in.

The levers connecting to the clutch and throttle cables are a bit
stiff despite plenty of lubrication. The business ends on the
transmission and the engine seem to be working fine. The cables are
probably the originals but they seem to move freely enough in their
tubes. I think the problem is right behind the control panel, but I
can't see how to fix it.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard Isherwood
Windspirit, SJ 28 - 118
Port Townsend WA

On Sat, 31 May 2008 12:07:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

My 1978 San Juan 28 has a Yanmar 15hp diesel and a Morse control - a
single throttle lever for forward and aft, and a push in-pull out
button for the clutch - you push it in to engage, out for neutral.

I'm having trouble finding the neutral spot when I need to disengage
the clutch. The throttle control is very notchy around the neutral
area. I find myself fiddling with the controls when I'm 20 feet from
the dock and wanting to drift in.

I don't really understand your problem - on any marine diesel I've
used with a single lever control, including a Yanmar 2GM, the clutch
control was only used when starting and warming up the engine - it
allowed you to advance the throttle without engaging forward or
reverse gear. There was no need to touch the clutch control while
manoeuvering - simply putting the control lever in the center detent
would disengage the clutch, and set the engine speed to idle.

If the engine normally remains in gear with the control lever in the
center position, the shift cable is misadjusted, or the control lever
mechanism that drives the shift cable is malfunctioning.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

There is a compression spring loaded tube at end of your shift cable
that attaches to transmission shift arm. This spring will rust and
stick if not lubricated every 100 hours.
When cable is at full extension either foward or reverse the spring is
depressid 1/8 of an inch to insure clutch positive engagement

wrote:
[...]

GPS and NMEA info:http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter
Vancouver Power Squadron:http://vancouver.powersquadron.ca

Peter,

Thanks.

The problem is that even at idle speed, without pulling the clutch
button out, the boat continues to be driven slowly either forward or
back, which makes it difficult to dock it, particularly alone. The
center spot is very difficult to feel, and the lever needs some
forcing through that zone,which makes me think something is worn
inside the control.

Richard

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the "clockwork" behind the throttle quadrant is worn or
broke - that needed fixing on an Mercruiser control for an outdrive I
had....

Brian W