Steve

Default My poor library?? ;0(

I as many know I'm in the rainy-damp Pac. NW and I have been keeping the
heater in my boat going full time during the winter. I would guess the temp.
is around 50-60 F. I'm aboard at least 5 days a week, working on projects,
etc. I have never notice any dampmess in the air at that temperature.

Yesterday I needed one of my 50 or so books I have on the book shelves of
the main cabin. Some a bound and some are soft or glossy covers. At first I
notice some of the glossy covers were sticking slightly together.. Then to
my horror, I found one of my favorites with the pages curling and several
glossy picture pages stuck together.

I started pulling more books and found that most were still ok while a few
were suffering from the wrinkling of the pages. The worst, I have already
discribed.

Of course the first thing I looked for was evidence of a deck leak, but
didn't find that. However, these book shelves are in an area where I haven't
insulated the hull yet and with the books so tightly packed into the shelves
the warm air can't circulate.

If I keep the boat here for another winter, I'm going to have to finish that
hull insulation or take the books off the boat over the winter.

To further encourage air circulation, I'm going to get some of that non-slip
shelf matting and put the under the books and maybe not pack them in so
tight.

Now I know why the books at the mariners swap meets are always wrinkled and
so cheap.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Gordon Wedman

Now I know why the books at the mariners swap meets are always wrinkled and
so cheap

and have black spots and an odour the publisher did not add.

I wouldn't think this would happen if you had completely open shelving.
Could be there is some occasional condensation on the hull and this is
running down the sides to the base of the books. If the shelving is closed
in there's more likelihood of a problem.
Think I'll check my books tonight g