BoatBanter.com

-   -   Miami to BVI (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/94426-miami-bvi.html)

BeeRich May 5th 08 01:46 PM

Miami to BVI

Hiya folks.

Anybody done this trip? Any recommendations, cautions, stories? I'm
wanting to take a sailboat with a crewmate from Florida to BVI via
Abacos, along the islands.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff Schultz May 5th 08 05:32 PM

Miami to BVI

BeeRich wrote in news:602a69dc-7306-4afd-b4ec-
:

Hiya folks.

Anybody done this trip? Any recommendations, cautions, stories? I'm
wanting to take a sailboat with a crewmate from Florida to BVI via
Abacos, along the islands.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Get Bruce Van Sant's "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" and read it.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff Schultz May 5th 08 05:39 PM

Miami to BVI

BeeRich wrote in news:602a69dc-7306-4afd-b4ec-
:

Hiya folks.

Anybody done this trip? Any recommendations, cautions, stories? I'm
wanting to take a sailboat with a crewmate from Florida to BVI via
Abacos, along the islands.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

After I responsed, I realized that I should have asked an obvious (at least
to me) question. Are you planning on doing this soon? Most people are
thinking about getting their boats out of the hurricane box by this time of
the season. You're talking about heading into it. Where are you going to
leave it for hurricane season?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 06:11 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message
Hiya folks.

Anybody done this trip? Any recommendations, cautions, stories? I'm
wanting to take a sailboat with a crewmate from Florida to BVI via
Abacos, along the islands.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

You won't get any valid input here. This group consists of pretenders and
wannabes mostly of the small motor boat type. Few, if any, have been out of
sight of land.

No real sailor even attempts to do the route you've described. Why? Because
it's all against the prevailing winds and currents. It can be done in a
motorboat if you don't mind pounding day after day, week after week into
wind and wave but a sailboat can't do it comfortably or at all. Somebody
suggested reading "The Thorny Path." Don't bother! That book is a joke.
It's all about waiting for periods of no wind and then using an engine to
coastwise hop from port to port. Cuba plays a significant part in the route.
Big engines an even greater part.

No, forget about sailing from Miami to the BVIs via the Bahamas. It's
unworkable. It's too long a slog to weather even for a well-found yacht such
as my Swan 68. You might find yourself making good only fifty or so miles a
day.

What you need to do is take the "I-65 route." That is depart out of Miami
and head northeast to east as the prevailing SE winds allow. Proceed on your
course north of the Abacos chain (the Gulf Stream will assist your northerly
progress) and keep going until you arrive at longitude 65w. (You will be
close to Bermuda so if you wish to rest you might consider stopping there.)
Then come about and turn south on a port tack and close haul or reach down
to the BVIs. This should take you two to three weeks. Don't do it during
hurricane season. Middle of May to middle of June is the time to go. Be sure
you have a place to hide in the BVIs during hurricane season.

Wilbur Hubbard
Swan 68

BeeRich May 5th 08 07:13 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 12:39*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:

After I responsed, I realized that I should have asked an obvious (at least
to me) question. *Are you planning on doing this soon? *Most people are
thinking about getting their boats out of the hurricane box by this time of
the season. *You're talking about heading into it. *Where are you going to
leave it for hurricane season?

Hi there. We are thinking of going down sometime between August and
October.

Gregory Hall May 5th 08 07:18 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message

Hi there. We are thinking of going down sometime between August and
October.

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

--
Gregory Hall

BeeRich May 5th 08 07:21 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 1:11*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Then how do you explain all the American boats I saw out of mainland
USA when we were both in the Abacos and the Virgin Islands?

What you need to do is take the "I-65 route." That is depart out of Miami
and head northeast to east as the prevailing SE winds allow. Proceed on your
course north of the Abacos chain (the Gulf Stream will assist your northerly
progress) and keep going until you arrive at longitude 65w. *(You will be
close to Bermuda so if you wish to rest you might consider stopping there.)
Then come about and turn south on a port tack and close haul or reach down
to the BVIs. This should take you two to three weeks. Don't do it during
hurricane season. Middle of May to middle of June is the time to go. Be sure
you have a place to hide in the BVIs during hurricane season.

Wilbur Hubbard
Swan 68

That is the route I am planning on taking. Abacos, along the top edge
of the Bahamas, down Southeast towards Turks & Caicos, then bypassing
DR and PR totally, right into USVI then BVI. You sure I can't stick
close to the islands? Hitting Bermuda for the sake of a single tack,
is a bit much.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 07:36 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message

Then how do you explain all the American boats I saw out of mainland
USA when we were both in the Abacos and the Virgin Islands?

There is more than one way to get someplace other than the direct route as
seen on a chart or map.
There are many many yachts of US registry in the Bahamas and in the Virgins.
That doesn't mean they all sailed there directly. Some of the motor boats
maybe but sailboats - few, if any are foolish enough to attempt such a long
slog against wind and current. Since you don't seem to realize this FACT it
tells me you are totally unqualified to try such a thing. Forget it.

That is the route I am planning on taking. Abacos, along the top edge
of the Bahamas, down Southeast towards Turks & Caicos, then bypassing
DR and PR totally, right into USVI then BVI. You sure I can't stick
close to the islands? Hitting Bermuda for the sake of a single tack,
is a bit much.

You'd better CHANGE your stupid plans or you're going to end up dead. You
are acting totally irrationally. You are acting like some stupid twit. You
don't try what you are talking about in a sailboat even in the off-season
and you are going to attempt it at the height of the hurricane season. You
are an idiot! Typical of the fool who thinks sailing is something to do by
brute force, without knowing the first thing about it, relying upon chance
and good luck. Well, your brute force ain't squat compared to Mother
Nature's brute force. And you're good luck will run out. You will probably
die. WAKE UP!

Wilbur Hubbard

Geoff Schultz May 5th 08 08:03 PM

Miami to BVI

BeeRich wrote in
:

On May 5, 12:39*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:

After I responsed, I realized that I should have asked an obvious (at
least
to me) question. *Are you planning on doing this soon? *Most people
are
thinking about getting their boats out of the hurricane box by this
time of
the season. *You're talking about heading into it. *Where are you
going to leave it for hurricane season?

Hi there. We are thinking of going down sometime between August and
October.

As several other people have commented, you're nuts if you want to leave
from FL and go to the BVIs at that time of the year. You're dead center in
the middle of hurricane season. What would happen of you got caught in
one? Where you would go? Are you prepared to lose your boat and/or life?

Most people are departing those waters for safer locations. If you said
that you were thinking of leaving at the end of October, then I'd say that
it's a reasonable trip. However, Aug-Oct is crazy.

I know several people who have made this trip in sailboats, and while it
isn't fun, it's doable. The Van Sant book that I mentioned earier is a
very good guide.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff Schultz May 5th 08 08:04 PM

Miami to BVI

BeeRich wrote in
:

Note that I've done the reverse (down-wind) version of this trip. Please
see my web site for info. I must admit that wasn't writing logs at that
point in time, so the info is sketchy.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Bob May 5th 08 08:09 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 10:36*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

You will probably
die. WAKE UP!

Wilbur Hubbard

My honored poster:

I must completly disagree with your advice,
The boater should follow his dream as did Skip & Lydia.
After all whats so hard about sailing considering all the amazing
technology availible today. Add to this the USCG is just a call away..
you know, sorta like a maritime On-Star. If their passion is there by
all means they should follow their dream. Like the albatross that
soars so will their hearts and soles soar to their destiny... their
dream... their future.. their passion.

Bob

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 08:49 PM

Miami to BVI

wrote:

I must completly disagree with your advice,
The boater should follow his dream as did Skip & Lydia.
After all whats so hard about sailing considering all the amazing
technology availible today. Add to this the USCG is just a call away..
you know, sorta like a maritime On-Star. If their passion is there by
all means they should follow their dream. Like the albatross that
soars so will their hearts and soles soar to their destiny... their
dream... their future.. their passion.

I hope BeeRich understands the farcical nature of your post but I doubt it.
He or she sounds clueless to me. Just another self-made victim for the Coast
Guard to practice their rescues on.

Your comments are the exact pie-in-the sky, liberal, feel good sentiments
that are the direct cause of "Red Cloud" being on the bottom of the Gulf
after being abandoned in mildly-rough weather by her
listen-to-nobody-with-experience captain. Funny how thoseliberal feel-good
sentiments are so quickly abandoned when one becomes very frightened of
losing one's life.

But, no matter what you say or do there is a certain group of ignorant,
stubborn losers who refuse to listen to sensible advice and *feel* they can
buck the odds. Yah, right! May their bones rest in peace on the sea bottom.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don White May 5th 08 09:10 PM

Miami to BVI

wrote:

[...]

I've got a buddy in the BVi who does deliveries. Might be a good idea to
hire a 'professional captain' if this is your first time.

Bob May 5th 08 09:28 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 11:49*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Yah, right! *May their bones rest in peace on the sea bottom.

Wilbur Hubbard

Arggg......... ! They be whinning n makin excuses to Davy Jones
soon......

Bob
BTW Im a liberal Democrate

Peter May 5th 08 09:50 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 7:46 am, BeeRich wrote:
Hiya folks.

Anybody done this trip? Any recommendations, cautions, stories? I'm
wanting to take a sailboat with a crewmate from Florida to BVI via
Abacos, along the islands.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Yes, this is doable. Yes, it is against the prevailing winds most of
the time. Many have done it, I have done part of it. The secret is
to have no schedule and to be willing to wait--sometimes for a week or
more or even more yet--for the proper weather windows. The most
common route is via the Exumas, Long Island and Mayaguana to Turks and
Caicos, then to Dominican Republic, then Puerto Rico and finally the
Virgins. A really good book to study for this trip is "The
Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" by Bruce Van Sant. You can go
directly to the Virgins from the Bahamas, but you need a really good
weather window. Which ever route you choose, be prepared to motor or
motorsail. Also, even though it is hurricane season, many people
still sail. Hurricane holes do, but you have to plan carefully.
Needless to say, your insurance company will either charge an arm and
a leg to endorse your your boat or will cancel entirely.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 10:06 PM

Miami to BVI

"Peter" wrote in message
Needless to say, your insurance company will either charge an arm and
a leg to endorse your your boat or will cancel entirely.

And, why do you think that is? Doesn't it tell you something about the odds
of success?

And even if one does succeed, is slogging 1200 miles (probably about double
that considering it's all a beat) to weather really sailing when one can
travel half again that far and do it comfortably and in a much shorter time
via the sailors route I suggested? What has "sailing" come to these days
when people totally disregard the sailing routes? Do they rely that much on
their oversized motors? It just shows they aren't interested in sailing,
have no concept of sailing and are uninformed dolts giving sailing a bad
name.

Wilbur Hubbard

Geoff Schultz May 5th 08 10:31 PM

Miami to BVI

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
anews.com:

And even if one does succeed, is slogging 1200 miles (probably about
double that considering it's all a beat) to weather really sailing
when one can travel half again that far and do it comfortably and in a
much shorter time via the sailors route I suggested?
Wilbur Hubbard

The last time that I checked, the distance from Bermuda to the BVIs was
about 800 nm. Glancing at a chart, I'd guess that it's about the same, or
longer, from Miami to Bermuda, or a total of 1600+ NM.

I didn't think that the thorny path was 1200 miles, and that's probably
even a bit short with tacking, but it's definately not 2400 miles.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

BeeRich May 5th 08 10:48 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 2:18*pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
"BeeRich" wrote in message

Hi there. *We are thinking of going down sometime between August and
October.

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. *You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

--
Gregory Hall

For your reasons, there would be no sailboats in the Caribbean at any
time, as they would be wiped out. Not every day is a hurricane, but
perhaps you haven't noticed that.

BeeRich May 5th 08 10:51 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 2:36*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"BeeRich" wrote in message

[...]

This coming from a guy that says everybody in a newsgroup has no
experience, and he is the only person who does. Sounds like you need
something to deal with your insecurity. Hey maybe I should just ride
over on your boat, since it's the only one that can do it.

And I do know something about it. I've been on boats for over 30
years now, probably longer than you. Reading the weather, isn't about
chance. But I bet you think hurricanes form instantly. WAKE UP!

BeeRich May 5th 08 10:56 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 3:03*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:
BeeRich wrote :

[...]

It's the only time that is convenient, so that's the time that I am
considering. I haven't made my mind up yet, as that's why I'm asking
in here. The very indication that there is a book on this, means that
it's something that's been done, and people are interested in doing
it.

And no, I don't plan on just walking out into a hurricane. And yes,
I've been through hurricanes. But to say that all of the Caribbean
and Florida is nothing but hurricanes that time of year, is just not
true. So what about the people that you indicate are departing those
waters? They must get caught in hurricanes. I guess they're all dead
then? Of course not.

Part of this thread is about finding a time for such a route. If it
means waiting, then so be it. I look forward to finding that book, if
I decide to do this.

Cheers

BeeRich May 5th 08 11:00 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 3:49*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

But, no matter what you say or do there is a certain group of ignorant,
stubborn losers who refuse to listen to sensible advice and *feel* they can
buck the odds. Yah, right! *May their bones rest in peace on the sea bottom.

Wilbur Hubbard

Dear Wilbur, you moron. Get off your high horse and realize the
world's waters are not yours. To say that nobody sails anywhere south
of the Chesapeake during YOUR time of warning, is just a farce, like
your posts.

Gregory Hall May 5th 08 11:01 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message
On May 5, 2:18 pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
"For your reasons, there would be no sailboats in the Caribbean at any

time, as they would be wiped out. Not every day is a hurricane, but
perhaps you haven't noticed that.

But, YOU will certainly notice the day a hurricane approaches and strikes
you someplace where there is little warning and even less shelter. But,
please go ahead with your stupid plans. I, for one, will welcome your
demise. There are way too many stupid people in the world as it is . . . It
is my hope that you will not live to pass on your defective genes.

--
Gregory Hall

BeeRich May 5th 08 11:01 PM

Miami to BVI

wrote:

[...]

Wrong again, sunshine.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 11:07 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message

This coming from a guy that says everybody in a newsgroup has no
experience, and he is the only person who does. Sounds like you need
something to deal with your insecurity. Hey maybe I should just ride
over on your boat, since it's the only one that can do it.

Maybe you should just pull your head out of your arse! And I wouldn't let
your like anywhere near my boat. You are an accident waiting to happen.

And I do know something about it. I've been on boats for over 30
years now, probably longer than you. Reading the weather, isn't about
chance. But I bet you think hurricanes form instantly. WAKE UP!

And I bet you think your little old, let's see if I can guess it right,
Hunter 33? can outrun a hurricane. Good luck! I don't think you have any
idea of the distances or time involved.

Wilbur Hubbard

BeeRich May 5th 08 11:09 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 5:06*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

Needless to say, your insurance company will either charge an arm and
a leg to endorse your your boat or will cancel entirely.

And, why do you think that is? Doesn't it tell you something about the odds
of success?

And even if one does succeed, is slogging 1200 miles (probably about double
that considering it's all a beat) to weather really sailing when one can
travel half again that far and do it comfortably and in a much shorter time
via the sailors route I suggested? What has "sailing" come to these days
when people totally disregard the sailing routes? Do they rely that much on
their oversized motors? It just shows they aren't interested in sailing,
have no concept of sailing and are uninformed dolts giving sailing a bad
name.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wow you really are misguided. How about this for an answer: Their
itinerary dictates that they have a destination first, THEN carry on
with fun sailing. And yes, today's boats allow for tacking, not
worldwide adventure routes. Sailing has come to whatever people want
sailing to be. And motorboats are a very valid way of boating. It's
pompous boneheads like you that insult others that give sailing a bad
name.

Capt. JG May 5th 08 11:10 PM

Miami to BVI

That's a poor reason for making sailing plans offshore. This methodology can
easily result in loss of life, boat, or both. Sure, people do all sorts of
things, but that's not a valid reason for someone else doing it. If you
decide to go anyway, you have to be doubly cautious about finding the right
weather window. You're also going to have insurance coverage issues.

"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

BeeRich May 5th 08 11:10 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 4:50*pm, Peter wrote:
On May 5, 7:46 am, BeeRich wrote:

[...]

Ah, someone with some experience. Thank you for the post.

The outer Abacos to begin with, then the route you suggest. I wasn't
sure about DR and PR, so I was thinking maybe a close route, but
avoiding those islands altogether.

We have no hard schedule, and obviously we are secondary to favourable
weather. I thought that was usually the case.

Our goal is to get to BVI then settle down and then take some time out
for some alternate visits, but returning to BVI or USVI. I just
remember it being a good location to base out of, so it's our primary
destination as it stands.

BeeRich May 5th 08 11:13 PM

Miami to BVI

On May 5, 6:10*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
That's a poor reason for making sailing plans offshore. This methodology can
easily result in loss of life, boat, or both. Sure, people do all sorts of
things, but that's not a valid reason for someone else doing it. If you
decide to go anyway, you have to be doubly cautious about finding the right
weather window. You're also going to have insurance coverage issues.

No it was a beginning. Not knowing when the hurricane season is, and
how strong it is predicted to be this year, is indeed a beginning.
Other things in our lives are taking precedence, which have lead us to
this point in time. And yes, sailing does take less priority over the
health of our families. So we just conveniently found ourselves at
this time. If it's packed with hurricanes, then we delay the launch,
that's all.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 11:15 PM

Miami to BVI

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .

I didn't think that the thorny path was 1200 miles, and that's probably
even a bit short with tacking, but it's definately not 2400 miles.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Last time I checked it was about 1200 miles as the crow flies from Miami to
the BVIs. Now when you consider it's a beat the whole way because of the
prevailing winds aggravated by a current setting against you, just do the
math. I didn't say it would end up being 2400 miles but it's probably going
to be 1800 all told. So what would you prefer to do. Slog to weather against
prevailing winds and adverse current for 1800 miles or close reach and reach
about the same distance via the sailing route. If you're a sailor you'll
chose the latter.

If you're an ignorant putz like ReeBitch you'll choose the former and during
the peak of hurricane season to boot, fully believing in luck and your
ability to foresee the weather signs and outrun the hurricane to some
dubious shelter. Even Capt. Skippy isn't THAT stupid!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 5th 08 11:31 PM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message

Dear Wilbur, you moron. Get off your high horse and realize the
world's waters are not yours. To say that nobody sails anywhere south
of the Chesapeake during YOUR time of warning, is just a farce, like
your posts.

Get of your "ignorant" horse and listen to those who know something about
the folly of your intended actions. You're welcome to the world's waters but
they'll be your grave for all eternity if you don't change your uppity
attitude that's clearly based upon abject ignorance and arrogant stupidity.
You don't even know the basic information as to the Atlantic hurricane
season. You don't seem to understand the distances and time involved in
sailing to the BVIs. You seem to think you can stay close to land and run
for shelter. You have no clue as to storm speeds, storm changes in direction
or likely paths. I bet you have never even heard of the term "recurve." You
are just some stupid lubber with dreams that are sure to turn into a
nightmare if you don't become more educated and less like some ignorant
stubborn little girl.

Yah right. Just pick a time because it fits your lubberly schedule. Don't
plan a voyage around winds and currents and tropical storms. Nah, mariners
don't need to do that anymore. We have technology and we have satellites to
predict the weather. We can put our motors in gear and outrun anything. Just
disregard everything about the environment into which you plan to place
yourself irrevocably. Yes, that's the ticket.

What a twit!

Wilbur Hubbard

Don White May 6th 08 02:21 AM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message
On May 5, 4:10 pm, "Don White" wrote:

I've got a buddy in the BVi who does deliveries. Might be a good idea to
hire a 'professional captain' if this is your first time.

Wrong again, sunshine.

You don't think it's a good idea to have someone along who has experience
sailing this area... or you don't want to pay for their expertice?

Peter May 6th 08 02:42 AM

Miami to BVI

You know, Wilbur, I haven't posted very often on this forum, but I
have read a good many of the posts. If the number of miles you have
sailed equalled even half the number of negative posts that you have
posted, you might have a tad of credibility. I am sick of reading
your foolish trash. To respond to your ridiculous question, no it
doesn't tell me anyting about my personal odds for success. The fact
is that of those who sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season,
only a minority encounter any problems. As a matter of fact, I have
sailed in the Caribbean during hurrican season and intend to do so
again this year. The pontifications of armchair sailors like yourself
do not contribute anything to the discussion.

Peter May 6th 08 02:46 AM

Miami to BVI

wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

name.- Hide quoted text -

Capt. JG May 6th 08 03:09 AM

Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message
On May 5, 6:10 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

That's good to know! Nothing wrong with a strawman proposal...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B May 6th 08 12:17 PM

Miami to BVI

On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:56:01 -0700 (PDT), BeeRich
wrote:

Part of this thread is about finding a time for such a route. If it
means waiting, then so be it. I look forward to finding that book, if
I decide to do this.

By all means, read the book and then re-read it a few times. Get a
set of charts and follow aong with the book as you evaluate different
routes.

One more piece of advice: Don't even think about going during
hurricane season. Once you get out there, there is no place to hide,
and once you get there, there is no place to hide. Bad idea.

Jere Lull May 6th 08 12:31 PM

Miami to BVI

On 2008-05-05 14:18:12 -0400, "Gregory Hall" said:

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

I find this to be over the top.

The BVI experience fewer storms than Long Island, yet few will warn
against sailing in LIS in season.

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.

--
Jere Lull

Wayne.B May 6th 08 12:44 PM

Miami to BVI

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:31:50 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.

Bad advice Jere. LIS experiences very few hurricanes, about the same
frequency as the Chesapeake. The area in question by our intrepid
cruise planner experiences multiple hurricanes every season. He is
talking about sailing hundreds of miles off shore in a sailboat with
no time or opportunity to seek shelter.

Bob May 6th 08 03:18 PM

Miami to BVI

On 2008-05-05 14:18:12 -0400, "Gregory Hall" said:

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. *You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

Good advice ! Although Ive never sailed that area. My experince is
limitted to the Pacific and GOM on OSVs but that dont count.

I find this to be over the top.

Hmm not really

The BVI experience fewer storms than Long Island, yet few will warn
against sailing in LIS in season.

Thats because your sailing in the shallow end of the pool. try the
deep end. diffrent rules there.

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.
Jere Lull

Now this has got to be chissled on the Head Stone. When I was learning
how to fly on the Oregon coast at age 15 and soloed on my 16th
birthday (using Rogers shamless self promotion) the old guys used a
term to describe a typicall weather pattern. they called it a:
SUCKER HOLE. That nice bit of weather inbetwen fronts that would close
in behind ya with NO place to go.
Same thing happens to small boats that can not handle Small Craft
Warnings OR inexperinced/incappable operators. "...Oh, the weather
report looks nice for the next 3 days..." and out they.

I recomend continuing your BAY sailing....................
Bob

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] May 6th 08 05:36 PM

Miami to BVI

"Peter" wrote in message
You know, Wilbur, I haven't posted very often on this forum, but I
have read a good many of the posts. If the number of miles you have
sailed equalled even half the number of negative posts that you have
posted, you might have a tad of credibility. I am sick of reading
your foolish trash. To respond to your ridiculous question, no it
doesn't tell me anyting about my personal odds for success. The fact
is that of those who sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season,
only a minority encounter any problems. As a matter of fact, I have
sailed in the Caribbean during hurrican season and intend to do so
again this year. The pontifications of armchair sailors like yourself
do not contribute anything to the discussion.

And therein lies the difference between you and me and ReeBitch.

1) You apparently have some offshore sailing experience in the area in
question. ReeBitch has none.

2) You apparently have some awareness of the danger of tropical storms and
the time of the year of hurricane season. ReeBitch wasn't even aware of
hurricane season and the frequency of hurricanes during peak months of that
season.

3) You are somewhat seasoned while ReeBitch has never sailed offshore. Lake
sailor at best.

4) You probably have a seaworthy vessel. ReeBitch has a small Hunter or
similar cheap, coastal only boat.

5) You don't sail on a schedule since you're experienced enough to know it
doesn't work. ReeBitch's main planning point is to schedule around a land
based itinerary.

6) I've been cruising and have lived aboard since 1985. I have more time and
miles aboard my boat than the combined total of so-called sailors in this
group. I know of which I speak. I have experienced aboard my yacht more
hurricanes than the lot of you put together. (Try a total of 28 tropical
storms and hurricanes each and every one with no or minor damage - and none
of them offshore where I would have died).

Unlike ReeBitch I have a very good grasp of the time and distances of what
might look like a hop, skip and a jump such as from Miami to BVI. I know it
is anything but. Many lubbers like ReeBitch have a lubbers idea of distance.
They judge distances by how far they can drive in a day. "Why," they yammer,
"1200 miles ain't nothing. That's only two days driving." Little do they
realize that against wind and current they will be lucky to cover 50 miles
toward their destination in a 24 hour period. That turns a 1200 mile sailing
trip into a 24 day ordeal and that's if the boat doesn't break which it
likely will. Offshore voyagers rarely subject their vessels to such abuse
and their vessels are probably ten times as stout as some Hunter type.

And if they stop and wait for "weather windows" that don't occur during the
time of the year they wish to travel their 24 day ordeal will likely turn
into a six month debacle. There are very few weather windows in the Trades
in the summer. About the only thing that turns the prevailing winds is a
hurricane. Do you "work" hurricanes? Do you suggest others try it? I doubt
it.

So try to consider that ReeBitch is a rank, ignorant, novice who is totally
clueless when it comes to offshore voyaging. You've heard the sad saga of
the captain and crew of the "Red Cloud" no doubt. The captain had years of
offshore experience or so he claimed. But, he was done in by a little ole
cold front in the Gulf of Mexico that had sustained winds of only 45-50 or
so knots. And you think lamers like ReeBitch have any chance of success at
all voyaging hundreds of miles offshore at the height of hurricane season in
a flimsy Hunter? Why do you encourage such irresponsible behavior?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wayne.B May 7th 08 03:46 AM

Miami to BVI

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:09:45 -0400, wrote:

it's a rare DAILY weather prediction in the
LIS in summer that doesn't include a warning about, "chance of
lightning storms". These are generally very localized, powerful and
usually short duration. In addition to the sudden strong gusts and
cloud to water lightning strikes all around you (hopefully not cloud
to you!), visibility can go from 2 miles to 2 inches incredibly fast.

Been there, done that, and yes it can be awesome for a short time.

It's a whole different thing however to be offshore in or near a
hurricane, or in a full gale. The highest waves I've ever seen in 30+
years of sailing LIS were in the 10 to 12 foot range. On the open
ocean 10 to 12 footers are routine windy day conditions. Gale force
conditions on the ocean frequently last for 2 or 3 days. That's when
the boats and people start breaking.