Default Marine Electrical training - where to go?

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day
Ryk Ryk is offline

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:44:06 -0700 (PDT), in message

andy t wrote:

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day

You might want to narrow it down regionally a little -- this is an
international news group.

The Marine Institute (Associated with Memorial University in St.
John's, Newfoundland) has a wide variety of programs aimed at various
seagoing certifications.

Ryk

Consider joining the navy. You will be trained and out at 40. You will
have a pension and a potential 20/25 years of civilian work.
Ryk Ryk is offline

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:39:02 -0700 (PDT), in message

wrote:

Consider joining the navy. You will be trained and out at 40. You will
have a pension and a potential 20/25 years of civilian work.

Which country's navy?

Ryk

andy t wrote:

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day

You might want to narrow it down regionally a little -- this is an
international news group.

The Marine Institute (Associated with Memorial University in St.
John's, Newfoundland) has a wide variety of programs aimed at various
seagoing certifications.

Ryk

The US Coast Guard may be a decent option. You could sign up for 4
years on the condition you get ET "A school" training. Not to start a
war here but my understanding is that the Coast Guard training is more
relevant to the real world than Navy training and it is more likely you
will gain some real hand's on experience as the Coast Guard is orders of
magnitude smaller.

Beware, my info is dated, as am I.

Otherwise, what I am hearing is that many of the local and/or community
college electronic tech programs are being phased out due to lack of
interest.

Otherwise you may want to check out NARTE.ORG (National Association of
Radio and Telephone Engineers) and see if they have any recommendations
and/or the AARL American Amateur Radio League or the equivalent in your
locale.