Bobsprit

Default Crusing, hull speed, Cal 34 ft vs O'Day 34

The Cal being a shoal draft with narrow
beam would not be a good stable platform and would be more prone to
roll over/capsize in overwhelming conditions.

Depending on the specific sea conditions, I'd say that the Cal could ride rough
conditions better (in some cases) than the Oday. Higher beam can be a liability
in some conditions. But let's keep this in perspective: It takes pretty bad
conditions to roll either of these cruisers over.
I'd still expect the Cal to be the sturdier and more capable vessel, though I
admit this is based more on impressions than on factual elements of
construction and performance. There's a Cal 34 from the early 80s at my club
and it's build appears to be pretty good, certainly better than Oday.

RB
Bobsprit

These are nearly identical boats (by the 'numbers') and the D/LWL value
of the Oday will make her accelerate a bit faster ... a good thing if
you sail in mostly light winds.

Of course, hull form is also a factor above and beyond raw numbers.

RB

Russ Barron

"pirouet" out of a hard-on-the-wind beat? Nonsense.
My 1978 CAL 34III will steer herself all day and night in light winds or
25-30 knots. Just get the sails right and lock the wheel.
I like the encapsulated keel with deep sump. Would not have a bolt on keel with a shallow bilge.
After 13 years I still like this boat, very nimble and well balanced.
I am sure the O'Day is fun too, and neither of them is a blue water boat IMO.
Russ

Rich Hampel wrote:

The draft of the Cal is listed as 4' 9", compared with 5' 7" for the
O'Day. Would this make it somewhat more tender,

YES and prone to "pirouet" out of a hard-on-the-wind beat, also would
be more easilly broached. Although the VCG (vertical center of gravity)
is not listed, I certainly do a coarse roll period test on both: just
rock the boat back on forth and measure the roll oscilations per unit
time. http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

but perhaps faster
under light winds?
YES but wont point as well as the ODay.

More questionable for blue water cruising?

Since the capsize ratio is near 2.0 on both boats, neither would be a
good blue water boat but sind the Oday has a broader beam (11.8) would
have better dynamic stability. The Cal being a shoal draft with narrow
beam would not be a good stable platform and would be more prone to
roll over/capsize in overwhelming conditions.

These are nearly identical boats (by the 'numbers') and the D/LWL value
of the Oday will make her accelerate a bit faster ... a good thing if
you sail in mostly light winds.

Russ Barron

Rich Hampel wrote:

[...]

"Hull speed" is voodoo science JAXAshby General 37 May 9th 04 01:07 AM
Hull speed Parallax Cruising 14 October 20th 03 01:07 AM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM
Narrow hull speed question Robert Haston Boat Building 5 September 15th 03 07:45 PM
Hull speed theory? Sakari Aaltonen Boat Building 28 July 22nd 03 09:30 PM