Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:00:10 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

On Apr 5, 7:20*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in messagenews:lhcgv3tmnc4on4g66bq3hhkhts27m6qgsn@4ax .com...

I hate to sound like an old man (even if I am) but in my younger days
a 5 H.P. motor was considered a "fishing boat" motor. A fishing boat
being a well built (i.e., heavy) wooden 14 - 16 foot boat. Now 'a days
it seems to take at least 50 H.P to push he same boat -- maybe the
horses are getting smaller?

In your younger days motors ran on steam!

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce, was Wilbur being unkind to you? Actually, the horses
aren't getting smaller, it's just that the hardwiring in the brains of
some today can only produce one thought---there is no substitute for
having the biggest one in the group. Although they're talking about
their boat motors, we all know the basis for that psychological
affliction of only the biggest is the best. LOLOL But all we wanna
do is putt-putt-putt around the nice quiet, placid lake and soak up
some rays...no water skiing, no planing, no drag racing, no attempts
to cross the Pacific via Hawaii...just putt, putt, putt, putt, putt,
putt....................................so ya think the DF4 will do
that huh?

-Jay

Actually I have Willie-boy kill filed so the only time I see his
messages are when someone quotes him. Strangely, I don't miss him at
all :-)

No, when I was a young fella outboards were the thing.

I have seen an 18 ft. dory with an inboard, New Foundland built, one
cylinder engine with an external flywheel and crank, directly coupled
to the prop shaft . If you retarded the spark (and you were both
adroit and lucky) you could get the thing to stall and restart in
reverse. Probably a four H.P. engine and the guy was running abou100
lobster traps with the boat - pulling 50 traps a day -- by hand.

Funny how people used to get along without the SUV's and color TV. My
grandpa cut all the wood to heat a two bedroom house in upstate New
England, by himself. Took most of the month of September. With a hand
saw and an axe and he was in his 70's. Never owned a chain saw.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

wrote:
[...]

snip..

probably an old 'Make & Break' engine... once popular and a familiar sound
in the Maritimes and Newfoundland.
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/complete-archive/3908/
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/fma/gallery-pages/aeng.html

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:53:46 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

The second URL is the engine I remember (except it had a longer shaft
and no holes in the bock :-) From what some of the older fishermen
said they were the engine of choice at one time.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Rats! I was hoping that at least one member of this group would have
had personal experience with the Suzuki portable outboards, especially
the 4hp and the 6hp to offer some insights as to their functionality,
endurance, noise level, trolling , etc. Haven't received too many
replies in the other boat group either so guess Suzuki's don't have
that many users. Thanx to the ones who responded though. Jay

On 2008-04-08 01:10:49 -0400, Jay said:

Rats! I was hoping that at least one member of this group would have
had personal experience with the Suzuki portable outboards, especially
the 4hp and the 6hp to offer some insights as to their functionality,
endurance, noise level, trolling , etc. Haven't received too many
replies in the other boat group either so guess Suzuki's don't have
that many users. Thanx to the ones who responded though. Jay

I don't have direct experience with them, but if you really are just
trolling around, the 4 will beat oars handily.

MY concern with any outboard is that you have adequate support where
you live and/or cruise. We have a wonderful ancient Honda, but no
dealers that I can get to without taking time off of work.

I'd feel safest with two nearby shops with good reputations, and at
least one day they're open past 5 PM.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Apr 7, 10:58*pm, Jere Lull wrote:

Good point about having a good service shop nearby. And thanx for the
support of the 4HP. I've been leaning in that direction anyway. The
lakes we go to are pretty calm and, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a
lot of mechanical difference between the 4HP (DF4) and the 6HP (DF6).
It's like they're the same exact motor and the 6 just winds out more.
-Jay

Forgot to mention a harebrained (?) idea a friend of mine had. He
said to just putt-putt that 14 footer around these calm ponds in the
area all I would need would be the Suzuki 2.5 HP but that sounds more
like a motor for an inflatable, dinghy or a little 8 or 10 foot Walker
Bay to me.

He also mentioned that if I was going to shell out a $1100 for the
Suzuki DF4, I should pick up the Briggs and Stratton 5HP online for
$750 delivered. (One more horse at work for $350 less). Hmmmm...too
many damn decisions.
-Jay

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:49:20 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

Forgot to mention a harebrained (?) idea a friend of mine had. He
said to just putt-putt that 14 footer around these calm ponds in the
area all I would need would be the Suzuki 2.5 HP but that sounds more
like a motor for an inflatable, dinghy or a little 8 or 10 foot Walker
Bay to me.

He also mentioned that if I was going to shell out a $1100 for the
Suzuki DF4, I should pick up the Briggs and Stratton 5HP online for
$750 delivered. (One more horse at work for $350 less). Hmmmm...too
many damn decisions.
-Jay

I think your problem is in your description of what you want to do. I
have a Mercury 3 H.P. and I'll guarantee it will push your boat around
a lake. Not too quickly, but it will push it and since speed will be
more a factor of water line length then anything else the 2.5/3 H.P
will probably push your 14 footer about as fast as my 8 foot dinghy
(with the same number of people aboard).

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:44:36 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

The Briggs and Stratton is air cooled and *very* noisy. I think it
would be a poor choice. The 2.5 will definitely move you around
although not very fast. If you want to optimize light weight and low
cost the 2.5 would be the best option (if you have dealer support).

For low speed on a small pond you might be happy with an electric
trolling motor and a deep cycle battery.

wrote:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

The Briggs and Stratton is air cooled and *very* noisy. I think it
would be a poor choice. The 2.5 will definitely move you around
although not very fast. If you want to optimize light weight and low
cost the 2.5 would be the best option (if you have dealer support).

Second that. Ran an air-cooled 5hp for years. Cheap Sears thing.
Always regretted not kicking in the extra cash for a water cooled.
It was noisy as hell.

--Vic

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM