Default 1986 170hp mer cruiser not getn any fire

anyone had this problem before,or can you help me out anyway

On Mar 26, 12:18*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:08:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
anyone had this problem before,or can you help me out anyway

Almost all of us have experienced an engine that wouldn't start but
you're not giving us much to work with. *Do you have ignition spark at
the plugs, and do you know how to test for it ? *That's the classic
starting point. *If you don't have a strong spark then you've got a
problem with the ignition system: points, coil, electronic ignition
module, fuse, circuit breaker, etc.

If you've got spark and compression, then it's a fuel system issue:
carbuertor, fuel filter, injection system, etc.

If you have no idea how any of this works or how to test it then you
need a professional mechanic.

I think i have it,i have fire at the coil and the fuel is pumping,i
even give it a shot of ether,but nothing. The only thing i can think
of is my battery is not putting out enough cranking amps,therfore my
motor is not turning over fast enough.I will try that and let you know
how that turns out. thanks

On Mar 29, 6:57*pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:08:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
anyone had this problem before,or can you help me out anyway

Cheap preliminaries.

Pull one plug. Hook it tback o the lead and rest it on the block.
Crank. * Look for the spark at the plug. A blue spark.
Look for a repeated blue spark. If yes, the ignition is not the
problem.

Squirt a good dose of ether in the inlet and crank.
look for a firing cylinder or two. If not, the fuel is not a problem.

If spark but no firing cylinder with ether, then fuel is
not the issue *and spark is not the issue.

Test compression in a plug hole. If over 100 psi, then
compression is not the problem.

If you earlier saw a repeated spark, then the timing chain is usually
OK cause it usually drives the camshaft which drives the distributor
which times the spark.

So now you are left with timing.
*Get a timing light - $30 for preference. The timing chain may have
slipped a tooth or three

There you go!

Brian Whatcott * *Altus OK

I FOUND THE PROBLEM ... THERE IS A LIMIT SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE
MOTOR THAT WAS BAD ...I UNBOLTED IT FROM THE MOTOR LEFT IT
HANGING,STILL WIRED IN THE CIRCUIT,BUT THE ARM WAS NOT PUSHED IN,SO
THEREFOR IT FIRED...WHEN THE ARM WAS PUSHED IN THE MOTOR WOULD NOT
FIRE OFF,...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS FOR BUT IT SEEMED TO FIX THE
PROBLEM

wrote
THERE IS A LIMIT SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE
MOTOR THAT WAS BAD ...

Did it look like this?
http://www.outdriveshop.com/shiftint...witchkits.html

On Mar 31, 12:37*pm, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:
wrote

THERE IS A LIMIT SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE
MOTOR THAT WAS BAD ...

Did it look like this?http://www.outdriveshop.com/shiftint...witchkits.html

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME ,I DIDN'T NO WHAT THAT WAS ......DO
YOU THINK IT WILL HURT TO RUN WITHOUT IT?? AND ONE OTHER THING THE
HOSE THAT GOES AROUND MY SHIFT CABLE THROUGH THE TRANSOM IS BUSTED AND
POORING WATER IN ,,,CAN I GET THAT PART WITHOUT THE WHOLE CABLE KIT

wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:37 pm, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:
wrote

THERE IS A LIMIT SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE
MOTOR THAT WAS BAD ...

Did it look like this?
http://www.outdriveshop.com/shiftint...witchkits.html

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME ,I DIDN'T NO WHAT THAT WAS ......DO
YOU THINK IT WILL HURT TO RUN WITHOUT IT?? AND ONE OTHER THING THE
HOSE THAT GOES AROUND MY SHIFT CABLE THROUGH THE TRANSOM IS BUSTED AND
POORING WATER IN ,,,CAN I GET THAT PART WITHOUT THE WHOLE CABLE KIT

You'll find it's a bitch to shift into neutral, also I believe, very
hard on the gears in your lower end. As for the hose try these guys:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/

I order parts from them, even after shipping and GST up here (Canada) it
still costs less than the local dealers.

Cheers
Marty
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----