posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

Default "dry dock" in the water???

On Mar 24, 4:41*pm, wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

See............. cofferdam or cason

But why bother when ya can just yank the boat out with a sling
put on the beach at high tide.... wait for low tide
put lift bags on the stern bouy the aft end up
there are a few others but anint gonna give up all my secrects.

Duhh, put it on a trailer and take it home................

Bob

Bob wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:41 pm, wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

See............. cofferdam or cason

But why bother when ya can just yank the boat out with a sling
put on the beach at high tide.... wait for low tide
put lift bags on the stern bouy the aft end up
there are a few others but anint gonna give up all my secrects.

Duhh, put it on a trailer and take it home................

Bob

Check spelling
coffer dam or CASSION

I recently read of a Japanese or Chinese freighter with a holed hull
being fixed in Hawaii by use of a cofferdam. I think the article was in
Professional Mariner. Seems it was going to Cuba and was embargoed from
US ports. Took all kinds of diplomatic shenanigans to get her fixed.

Don't know of anything for a small boat.

Closest thing would be a "collision mat" but that would not allow you
the working space.

Given the buoyancy needed you might be better off to use wreckers floats
or "lift bags" to lift the boats stern.

Quick Google search revealed this

http://www.flexitank.com.au/salvageequipment.asp

On Mar 24, 5:41 pm, wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

In Alaska we have wooden cradles or beaches that we anchor up at in
high tide.
Low tide, the boat is sitting on the hard.
We put our boots on and spread a tarp under where we are working.
We have everything ready. Parts etc. Cause we have 4 hours to get the
job done.
Then we button it up, wait for high tide, pull the hooks, and sail
away.

Cost to pull the boat....$0

On Mar 24, 5:13 pm, L D'Bonnie wrote:
wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

There are displacement issues to deal with that would
probably negate the practicality of such an enclosure.

Why don't you invent a big air bladder. Slide it under
your bout and inflate. Properly designed you could lift
the stern out of the water all the way to lawyer heaven.

LdB

I am a marine engineer that worked on boats in Alaska for decades.
Have you ever worked on a boat, in the water?
Under it, outside it, while it can move?
Not for Girly men.

First, you need all the parts. Make sure you have them ALL.
And extra capscrews and bolts for the ones you drop.

Make sure you know what you have to do, step by step.
And have the proper tools, torque wrenches, etc with you.

I lay in bed the night before rehersing. When I get to the job, I have
done it
in my head 10 times.

A cool tool is the battery powered impact drill. It has an attachment
to do bolts.
In fact, use all battery powered stuff if you can.
No cords to fall in the water.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:32:49 -0700 (PDT), tomdownard
wrote:

A cool tool is the battery powered impact drill. It has an attachment
to do bolts.
In fact, use all battery powered stuff if you can.
No cords to fall in the water.

My kid brother was an electrical officer on a carrier, the Oriskany.
One of the electricans who worked for him was killed when the
shorepower cable for the ship fell into the water. 440 volt three
phase.

Casady
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:25:35 -0700 (PDT), tomdownard
wrote:

On Mar 24, 5:41 pm, wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

In Alaska we have wooden cradles or beaches that we anchor up at in
high tide.
Low tide, the boat is sitting on the hard.
We put our boots on and spread a tarp under where we are working.
We have everything ready. Parts etc. Cause we have 4 hours to get the
job done.
Then we button it up, wait for high tide, pull the hooks, and sail
away.

Cost to pull the boat....$0

Google on:
Floating Boat Lift Storage Systems
There are many commercial makes and models.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On 2008-03-27 22:16:30 -0400, cavelamb himself said:

tomdownard wrote:
On Mar 24, 5:41 pm, wrote:

Since often (too often) boats develop problems with an outdrive
requiring the boat to be pulled, which is often quite the pain in the
ass, it seems there should be some way of putting an enclosure around
the outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so it could be
pumped out and someone could get in to work on the drive. Does anyone
know of such?

In Alaska we have wooden cradles or beaches that we anchor up at in
high tide. Low tide, the boat is sitting on the hard. We put our boots
on and spread a tarp under where we are working. We have everything
ready. Parts etc. Cause we have 4 hours to get the job done. Then we
button it up, wait for high tide, pull the hooks, and sail away.

Cost to pull the boat....$0

What you need is a casement for a tidal driven dry-dock. Float in, let
the tide go out and close the doors.

Something like that?

Why make it so complicated and expensive?

Just hoist the darned thing, fix the problem, then splash.

Sheesh! Sounds like a bunch of Mensans around here!

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD