BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9265-5200-sikaflex-ok-potable-water-tanks.html)

dg February 27th 04 12:32 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

Anyone know if 5200 or Sikafles type polyurethane adhesives are OK in
potable water tanks as a small hole sealer.

Peggie Hall February 27th 04 01:32 AM

dg wrote:
Anyone know if 5200 or Sikafles type polyurethane adhesives are OK in
potable water tanks as a small hole sealer.

The first aid warnings on the labels should tell whether any product
should not be used around food. However, neither is likely to be a
permanent fix if the tank is plastic.

--
Peggie
----------

LaBomba182 February 27th 04 03:31 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

Subject: Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks
From: dg

Anyone know if 5200 or Sikafles type polyurethane adhesives are OK in
potable water tanks as a small hole sealer.

Neither will stick for long.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 February 27th 04 03:31 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

MMC February 27th 04 03:38 PM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

I wonder if a PVC welder would work for sealing holes like that?

Don W February 27th 04 04:23 PM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

It is possible to weld plastic, but it takes some practice. I've had
good luck using a hot glue gun for sealing holes in plastic tanks. The
hot glue sticks are essentially a plastic with a low melting temperature.

If you get everything clean and dry before applying the hot glue, and
are careful, I think you will like the results. You can get a hot glue
gun at Walmart, or Home Depot. YMMV

Don W.