BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9265-5200-sikaflex-ok-potable-water-tanks.html)

MMC February 28th 04 08:50 PM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks

Great idea and alot easier than the PVC.
"Don W" wrote in message
It is possible to weld plastic, but it takes some practice. I've had
good luck using a hot glue gun for sealing holes in plastic tanks. The
hot glue sticks are essentially a plastic with a low melting temperature.

If you get everything clean and dry before applying the hot glue, and
are careful, I think you will like the results. You can get a hot glue
gun at Walmart, or Home Depot. YMMV

Don W.

MMC wrote:
I wonder if a PVC welder would work for sealing holes like that?
"dg" wrote in message

Anyone know if 5200 or Sikafles type polyurethane adhesives are OK in
potable water tanks as a small hole sealer.

Peggie Hall February 28th 04 09:27 PM

Don W wrote:
It is possible to weld plastic, but it takes some practice. I've had
good luck using a hot glue gun for sealing holes in plastic tanks. The
hot glue sticks are essentially a plastic with a low melting temperature.

The glue in a hot glue gun used for arts and crafts work won't
work...it's just the same stuff that comes in a pot with a brush, only
hardened into sticks, no better for mending polyethylene than Elmers.
You'll need polyethylene rods which may not fit in a Walmart glue gun.
You need to buy a heat welder that uses poly rods at Home Depot.

And it does indeed take some practice, because just stuffing new melted
poly into the crack won't hold if there's any stress at all trying to
push it apart again. To get a sound mend, not only the new material, but
the edges of the crack have to be melted just enough to allow them to
become a single mass. The trick--and what takes practice learn--is in
melting enough of the tank wall without melting too much. So you might
want to buy some small poly sheets that are the same wall thickness as
the tank to practice on...you might even be able to pick up some scraps
for nothing.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

bert March 3rd 04 08:19 PM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks - YES

Since I have a similar problem, I email both 3M and Sika - 3M said no
- not FDA tested - Sika said YES -

"Sikaflex 291 is perfect for that. It is approved by NSF for use in
potable water tanks.

Regards,

Steve Padgett
Sika Corp."

BTW - NSF is National Sanitation Foundation

LaBomba182 March 4th 04 12:30 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks - YES

Subject: Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks - YES
From: bert

"Sikaflex 291 is perfect for that. It is approved by NSF for use in
potable water tanks.

I bet it still won't stick long to the plastic tank the original post was
asking about.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 March 4th 04 12:30 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks - YES

bert March 4th 04 05:49 AM

Is 5200 or Sikaflex ok in potable water tanks - YES

the original post said nothing about plastic - the group invented it.

bert March 4th 04 05:49 AM

Meindert Sprang March 4th 04 04:16 PM

From: bert

"Sikaflex 291 is perfect for that. It is approved by NSF for use in
potable water tanks.

I bet it still won't stick long to the plastic tank the original post was
asking about.

The OP never mentioned a plastic tank. The first person who replied assumed
it was....

Meindert