BoatBanter.com

-   -   Repairing the traveler (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/90776-repairing-traveler.html)

[email protected] February 11th 08 03:33 AM

Repairing the traveler

Jammed traveler. Huh? How can something so simple be jammed? Wont
move at all unless I kick it leaving gouges on the track. OK, I've
taken it apart before, bearing are loose so I will have to keep em
from running off. Might even have to replace the balls but I can prob
order em from McMAster Carr or similar. Still, it is a 28 yr old
traveler, repair of replace? I do not want to replace the track and I
cannot remember the brand of traveler. Do all travelers use the same
track in case I must replace it? Ideas?

RichH February 11th 08 04:08 AM

Repairing the traveler

They're all different.
Good news is the the balls, if 'torlon' are usually all the same.
Rigrite.com may have the exact parts you're looking for.

HPEER February 11th 08 07:37 PM

Repairing the traveler

RichH wrote:
They're all different.
Good news is the the balls, if 'torlon' are usually all the same.
Rigrite.com may have the exact parts you're looking for.

I have a small Schaeffer traveller on my self tacking staysail. Some
bits broke, damn thing is obsolete. I bought a small lock from Rigrite
for over $100 and lost in less than 5 minutes because of something else.

This year I bought a replacement traveller from Garhauer for $250.
Personally I like their stuff and the price is right. If you have
questions you can call the factory and ask for Guido (no, I am not
joking) and he will help you with your order. I even sent him some
pictures of my rig and he held on the phone to look at them. No joke!

I have yet to install the unit but it looks and feels great.

Best of luck,

Howard

Wayne.B February 13th 08 04:23 AM

Repairing the traveler

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:33:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Still, it is a 28 yr old
traveler, repair of replace?

Replace. It's easier in the long run and you'll be happier. Don't
cheap out on the new one. Get a nice Harken with delrin bearings.

I do not want to replace the track and I
cannot remember the brand of traveler.

You really do want to replace the track. Your old one is no doubt
pitted and/or distorted. That's what is messing up the bearings.

Do all travelers use the same
track in case I must replace it?

No.

Ideas?