TONY7451

Default Yorktown Yachts?

I'm looking for information regarding Yorktown Yachts.
Thanks
Tony
Steve

I normally refrain from negative comments however, there is cause to be
concerned in this instance.

From what I know/remember, they were very cheaply built.. There was a
serious problem with the hull to deck joint that cause some boats to ship
water when sailed hard and 'rail down'. They were lightly/poorly built and
suffered after a few years of coastal service.

The only Yorktowns I am personally familiar with were 'marina queens' and
primarily liveaboard boats because they had a roomy interior.

If anyone would like to take exception to these observation, they are
welcome, but every boat has it's critic and the OP wanted info.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Karin Conover-Lewis

As I recall, Yorkies were available either fully-finished from the factory,
or as kits in various stages of completion. A factory-finished Yorkie can be
a reasonable boat (depending on the intended use) assuming it has been kept
up and is in good condition -- with the kit boats, it's anyone's guess. They
do have a whole lot of freeboard and tend to be rather roomy for their size,
and can make good liveaboards. I have no idea at all how they sail. Marinas
in Southern California are full of them.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve" wrote in message
I normally refrain from negative comments however, there is cause to be
concerned in this instance.

From what I know/remember, they were very cheaply built.. There was a
serious problem with the hull to deck joint that cause some boats to ship
water when sailed hard and 'rail down'. They were lightly/poorly built

and
suffered after a few years of coastal service.

The only Yorktowns I am personally familiar with were 'marina queens' and
primarily liveaboard boats because they had a roomy interior.

If anyone would like to take exception to these observation, they are
welcome, but every boat has it's critic and the OP wanted info.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim

Yorktown and it's founder, Hank McCune are quite a story. There are a
couple of web sites that tell different parts of the story.

Loved to play the ponies, built boats, television and movie actor. Bad
business man, creative with fiberglass and accounting. Passed away a
couple of years ago. The last time I ran into Hank, he was 76 year old
and was laying up a 42 foot hull by himself. While he was the nicest guy
you'll find, you needed to keep your hands on your wallet at all times.

Early Television star;
http://www.classicthemes.com/50sTVTh...cCuneHall.html

There is a web site that explains the boat building, I couldn't find it.
Written by an exemployee. I'll keep looking.

There is a great story (if I remember it correctly) about how Frank
Butler bought his first boat from Hank had had to actually build it
himself when Hank was out doing other things, thus started Catalina Yachts.

Hank built a lot of boats, "homemade" and "factory built" have blurry
lines. Hank could do some fine work though.

Ok, Yorktowns, Olympics, Throughbreads, all his boats are among the
ugliest boats ever built. When you go to actual cruising areas, like La
Paz, what do you see? Yorktowns. Not good enough for the people who
think they need a Pacific Seacraft.

Hank was building boats with fin keels and spade rudders before anyone
else.

I'll try to find that web site that has the story of the boat building.

Jim

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
As I recall, Yorkies were available either fully-finished from the factory,
or as kits in various stages of completion. A factory-finished Yorkie can be
a reasonable boat (depending on the intended use) assuming it has been kept
up and is in good condition -- with the kit boats, it's anyone's guess. They
do have a whole lot of freeboard and tend to be rather roomy for their size,
and can make good liveaboards. I have no idea at all how they sail. Marinas
in Southern California are full of them.

Jim

Well I found the url, but it seems the page is no longer there. Here's
what I found:
Also, check-out Yorktown Owners Page:

www.lmmc.com/yorktown/yorktoc.html

This page is run by Mark Brown who used to be the Yard foreman at
Yorktown Yachts. Fabulous resource!
And, it was a fabulous resource. Hope it turns up again.

Jim

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:

As I recall, Yorkies were available either fully-finished from the
factory,
or as kits in various stages of completion. A factory-finished Yorkie
can be
a reasonable boat (depending on the intended use) assuming it has been
kept
up and is in good condition -- with the kit boats, it's anyone's
guess. They
do have a whole lot of freeboard and tend to be rather roomy for their
size,
and can make good liveaboards. I have no idea at all how they sail.
Marinas
in Southern California are full of them.

Jim

Thanks,
Jim

WaIIy wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:53:05 GMT, Jim wrote:

Well I found the url, but it seems the page is no longer there. Here's
what I found:

Go here and search for the url you found. You will find the pages in
the Wayback Machine. I did.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

________________________________________________ _________
Also, check-out Yorktown Owners Page:

www.lmmc.com/yorktown/yorktoc.html

This page is run by Mark Brown who used to be the Yard foreman at
Yorktown Yachts. Fabulous resource!
And, it was a fabulous resource. Hope it turns up again.

Jim

Freedom Yachts 31' 1984 for sale Loran Raul General 0 June 30th 04 02:29 PM
Nova Marine/Novatec yachts ?? philmeup Boat Building 0 January 24th 04 01:52 AM
Caliber yachts reddog Cruising 0 January 12th 04 12:10 AM
Q: F/S Yachts Inc Jonas General 0 November 2nd 03 12:28 AM