BoatBanter.com

-   -   Deep Water / Good Film (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/89357-deep-water-good-film.html)

[email protected] December 31st 07 02:27 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

Just rented Deep Water from Nexflix, a 2006 documentary on the 1968-69
Golden Globe race, the competitors in which were attempting the first
single-handed circumnavigation. Focusing mostly on the mental
disintegration of Donald Crowhurst, the movie features a good deal of
footage taken at sea by the competitors, and interviews with many of
the sailors / wives (including Mme. Moitessier).

Two thumbs up.

And my, how ocean racing has changed in the last 40 years...!

MW

Marty[_2_] January 3rd 08 02:25 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

wrote:
Just rented Deep Water from Nexflix, a 2006 documentary on the 1968-69
Golden Globe race, the competitors in which were attempting the first
single-handed circumnavigation.

Hmmmm, didn't Slocum and Chichester do this already?

Cheers
Marty

Brian Whatcott January 3rd 08 05:41 PM

Deep Water / Good Film

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:25:18 -0500, Marty wrote:

wrote:
Just rented Deep Water from Nexflix, a 2006 documentary on the 1968-69
Golden Globe race, the competitors in which were attempting the first
single-handed circumnavigation.

Hmmmm, didn't Slocum and Chichester do this already?

Cheers
Marty

Non-stop, possibly??

Brian W

Jere Lull January 4th 08 12:47 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

wrote:
Just rented Deep Water from Nexflix, a 2006 documentary on the 1968-69
Golden Globe race, the competitors in which were attempting the first
single-handed circumnavigation.

Hmmmm, didn't Slocum and Chichester do this already?

Cheers
Marty

Non-stop, possibly??

I believe it was the first *race*.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

[email protected] January 4th 08 01:21 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

Yes, sorry... I left out that important bit of information. The first
person to sail single-handed, *non-stop* around the globe was Robin
Knox-Johnston, winner of the 1968-1969 Golden Globe race, the general
focus of this documentary.

MW

Ernest Scribbler January 4th 08 02:30 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

wrote
Just rented Deep Water from Nexflix, a 2006 documentary on the 1968-69
Golden Globe race

Word of caution: If you send your wife to the local video rental joint and
have her ask for "Deep Water," they may send her home with a 2005 film of
the same name that has nothing to do with sailing. (Don't ask me how I know
this.)

Marty[_2_] January 5th 08 03:50 AM

Deep Water / Good Film

wrote:
Yes, sorry... I left out that important bit of information. The first
person to sail single-handed, *non-stop* around the globe was Robin
Knox-Johnston, winner of the 1968-1969 Golden Globe race, the general
focus of this documentary.

Ah, I see, one must be specific.

Cheers
Marty