Red Red is offline

Default December 24 - For all the saints (a riff on a hymn)

On 2007-12-26 17:37:50 -0500, Bruce in Bangkok said:
You know? I've been reading this on this news group for years and for
all that time, and longer, I've been using 3M 5200 to bed things on
boats and never once have I had any problems in removing the item when
I wanted to.

I agree it is a pretty good adhesive but certainly not impossible, or
even very difficult. to remove items attached with it.

And Jere Lull replied:
My experience has been that with good surface prep, 5200 is

essentially "forever" (or at least greater than a decade). Extremely
tough to cut, stayed flexible and bonded to the surface better than the
gelcoat to the substrate.

But with the new 5200 adhesive removers available in most chandleries it
isn't very hard to remove either.
Red

On 2007-12-27 15:39:03 -0500, Red said:

And Jere Lull replied:
My experience has been that with good surface prep, 5200 is essentially
"forever" (or at least greater than a decade). Extremely tough to

cut, stayed flexible and bonded to the surface better than the gelcoat
to the substrate.

But with the new 5200 adhesive removers available in most chandleries
it isn't very hard to remove either.
Red

Problem with the remover -- and heat, which also works -- is that you
have to be really careful if the nearby deck has been painted.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Red Red is offline

Problem with the remover -- and heat, which also works -- is that you
have to be really careful if the nearby deck has been painted.

Jere, I haven't found that to be a problem... yet! But maybe there are
some paints it reacts with and not others.
Red

I agree with Bruce and also with Jere, because as with most things
:maritime "the devil is in the details". 3M 5200 can be fairly easy or
next-to-impossible to remove. Everything depends on what object you just
stuck to what substrate, the width of the gap and the surface preparation. I
once had to remove a 5200-adhered Simpson Lawrence windlass from a teak deck
and it took endless pounding and prying with improvised spatulas and wedges
to get it free and even then it was impossible to avoid pulling up some
splinters of the teak. 5200 adheres *very* well to unfinished, unoiled teak,
so the combination of a large surface area cast aluminum windlass base and a
beautifully finished flat teak deck was not even slightly susceptible to
gentle prying. Wonder-solvents would have been useless in that situation --
too hard to get any meaningful solvent to joint contact. I can't imagine
why the builder used anything so unfriendly to removal for yearly
regreasing - and the result was rusty frozen clutch bearings for lack of
easy routine maintenance. We were very lucky to be able to get it apart and
working again in a remote area on a boat with a lot of heavy chain.. I much
prefer Dolfinite for anything which might need to be taken apart someday and
which has adequate bolt or screw fasteners not needing assistance from a
strong adhesive.
Seasons greetings and best wishes for the New Year to all from snowy Maine,
Scott

BCC #73

On 2007-12-27 15:39:03 -0500, Red said:

And Jere Lull replied:
My experience has been that with good surface prep, 5200 is essentially
"forever" (or at least greater than a decade). Extremely tough to
cut, stayed flexible and bonded to the surface better than the gelcoat
to the substrate.

But with the new 5200 adhesive removers available in most chandleries it
isn't very hard to remove either.
Red

Problem with the remover -- and heat, which also works -- is that you have
to be really careful if the nearby deck has been painted.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

October 30 - Aground again, Naturally (a riff on a 60's song)... Skip Gundlach Cruising 21 November 3rd 07 02:33 PM
October 20 - Saints Alive (a riff on a Canadian Brass piece I used to play in concerts in a prior life with my trombone) Skip Gundlach Cruising 0 October 24th 07 05:34 PM
Paddleing Saints Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 October 1st 03 02:25 PM
Many Saints on 10-25-02 Aubentan ASA 1 August 30th 03 02:04 AM