Default OT - Medical stuff in MIA/WPB - ENT, Mammography and Colonoscopy

Wally wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:44:49 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote

You're kidding, right? A satisfactory experience with massive
laxatives, anal douches and probes up the gazoo? :(

During the last of the little contact I had with the PO of my boat he told
me that their entire cruising season had just been wiped out because the
doctor or technician managed to poke the probe through his colon and
hospitalize him with peritonitis.

I would define a satisfactory experience as not having something like that
happen.

--
Roger Long

Roger !

Geez, you're usually such a nice guy.

I don't think this is very encouraging to Skip.

Wally, have you ever been poked like that?

I'd have to agree with Roger on this one.

A satisfactory experience would be to avoid it like the plague!

Richard

Roger .. I want to double, triple, .. multiply ..

GET THE COLONOSCOPY ..

I had a good friend, he was a very outdoors guy. Always hiking the Whites,
runner, basketball player,, built his
own house from scratch .. I mean he literally dug the cellar.

But he was chicken when it came to doctors.

So .. he let a small problem turn into a death sentence.

Now he is gone.

We can't be out sailing and arguing on the net if we are dead.

All you sailors .. get the tests!

Do it for your boat! And for yourself!

BUT DO IT!

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"cavelamb himself" wrote

A satisfactory experience would be to avoid it like the plague!

Absolutely not! I've watched a couple people go through the results of
not finding the problem early enough.

I didn't mean to worry Skip. The procedure is so safe that I assumed he
had already been briefed and knew that. My PO's experience was extremely
rare. It was a highly insensitive comment though.

--
Roger Long

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:

Roger .. I want to double, triple, .. multiply ..

GET THE COLONOSCOPY ..

I had a good friend, he was a very outdoors guy. Always hiking the Whites,
runner, basketball player,, built his
own house from scratch .. I mean he literally dug the cellar.

But he was chicken when it came to doctors.

So .. he let a small problem turn into a death sentence.

Now he is gone.

We can't be out sailing and arguing on the net if we are dead.

All you sailors .. get the tests!

Do it for your boat! And for yourself!

BUT DO IT!

There is another side to this.

I had a bladder tumor in 2005.
The doctors immediately used the "C" word and scheduled surgery to cut
it out.

It was benign. NOT cancer at all.

But it has taken nearly two years to fully recover from the surgery.
Actually, I doubt anyone ever does fully recover.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances...

Richard

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure it was a bummer, but the alternative of doing nothing could have
easily been terminal. I'm assuming you got multiple opinions... several
friends did that and saved themselves a lot of grief from the first
opinion... that's why they call it a medical "practice."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:26:53 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

[...]

In fact a chap just down the dock from me had exactly this experience.
Urinary tract problems; scared to see doctor; eventual couldn't
urinate and had to go to the hospital; Surgery. We scattered his
ashes in the ocean some 3 years after he first noticed symptoms.
Doctor said *probable* that had he visited the doctor when he first
noticed problems that they could have, at the minimum, delayed his
departure for some years and possible been cured...

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

Bruce .. we here at the boats page post all the time about not
letting our little ships get out of sorts,, and that is how we should look
at
our bodies.

====
ps: have a good Christmas.. in Thialand.. you lucky B........d!

Send a few of those gals my way..

wrote:

[...]

Hi, all,

In another venue,

Don Greer wrote:
I am surprised no one has repsonded to your request for help. Without
any personal knowledge, I would suggest you contact Seth Thaller, MD
DMD. 305-585-5285 Dr. Thaller is Chairman of the Department of Plastic
Surgery at the University of Miami. He does have a backgorund as an
ENT surgeon.
It apears Dr. Thaller has a private practice as well as directing the
residency program. If you call him, be sure to investigate carefully
the advantages of seeing either Dr Thaller in his private office, or
seeing a resident in the training program.
Most plastic surgery programs now do a lot of breast reconstructive
surgery. Because of that they will know which surgeons and which
radiologists are doing good work on breasts, and with the proper
questions should be able to help you find the best possilbe help.
Good luck.

I said:

This has appeared in several different venues. Aside from the "watch
out for horror story" colonoscopy commentary, the other curiosity I
have found is that everyone either misunderstands, doesn't know what
one is, or assumes that mammography implies the need for breast
surgery.

A mammogram - a specialized X-ray of breast tissue - is an annual
event for most women, but you can't just walk into some place and get
one - you have to be referred. We've got the referral, but we need a
recommendation.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ENT lead...

And, now, I observe...

So, not having any responses, I assume that nobody who's seen this
either has had the procedure(s - a colonoscopy, mammogram or roto-
rooter/resection of nasal passages) or knows of someone who has, in
the Miami through West Palm area, and can recommend the practitioner
who did the work?

Thanks...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Larry wrote:
60,000-70,000 die every year from medical mistakes....and is not
"news" for investigative reporting.......Why?

Because a heck of a lot more people gain very significant improvements
in their lives... in fact, the very continuance of their lives....
because of medical non-mistakes.

If you're worried about doctors making mistakes (and they are only
human, despite what they're taught in med school), don't go to one.

DSK

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:49:45 -0800, dougking888 wrote:

Larry wrote:
60,000-70,000 die every year from medical mistakes....and is not "news"
for investigative reporting.......Why?

Because a heck of a lot more people gain very significant improvements
in their lives... in fact, the very continuance of their lives....
because of medical non-mistakes.

If you're worried about doctors making mistakes (and they are only
human, despite what they're taught in med school), don't go to one.

DSK

Like anything else, there are some very good doctors out there, and there
are some very bad doctors. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ways to
find out which is which.