Mark Le Brocq

Default Spurs Vs Stripper

Anyone got any views on which one is worth getting i have already
suffered damaged becuase of rope and dont want it to happen again.

my boat is a Mitchell 31.

Many thanks,

Mark Le Brocq

Rick Curtis

There are many reasons why I believe the Strippers are a better
choice, but to me that main one is maintenance. Spurs have a zinc
installed on them that after the 2nd or 3rd replacment detroys the
internal threads requiring replacement of the piece that holds the
zinc. Strippers do not have, and supposedly do not require, any such
zinc. After replacing Spurs prematurely for several years I switched
to Strippers and have had no such problems. The serrated teeth on the
Strippers cut much easier than the straight blade on the Spurs. The
noise that is made when the Spurs cut makes you think the transmission
on the boat blew up. The Strippers cut silently at speed and only a
"thunk" at idle.

Over Thanksgiving I picked up one of the double ball, double line
traps south of Key West while idling and hardly knew that I had picked
them up until my kids told me about all the little pieces of line
coming out the back of the boat. A person could have walked from
Marco Island to Key West on all of the crab traps. It sure was nice
not having to dodge them and have a lookout posted on the bow. In
short, the Strippers have paid for themselves many times over with no
maintenance. Installation of a pair of Strippers on my boat took
about 30 minutes.

A bit of history reveals that Strippers were developed by a naval
engineer in the British Navy for naval vessels. They were designed to
cut submarine netting. The engineer that designed them couldn't sell
them until he retired from the Navy. Therefore, the super-tough
construction of the Strippers.

Contact Robert at Best Marine 888-784-8611 in Fort Lauderdale who is
the importer of Strippers. Or send me a note with your phone number
and I'll save you 10%. You will need the shaft diameter and the
available distance between your strut and prop hub for him to tell you
which model you need.

Rick Curtis

(Mark Le Brocq) wrote in message . com...
Anyone got any views on which one is worth getting i have already
suffered damaged becuase of rope and dont want it to happen again.

my boat is a Mitchell 31.

Many thanks,

Mark Le Brocq

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:51:45 +0000, Mark Le Brocq wrote:

Anyone got any views on which one is worth getting i have already suffered
damaged becuase of rope and dont want it to happen again.

Go for the stripper. The spurs are just for show, and if you pay her enough, the
stripper might let you take her home...

Then again, maybe a stripper with spurs...

Lloyd